Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scotto0609, Jul 12, 2006.

1. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Picked up an 85 k30 crew cab dually recently and cant get mechanical fuel pump to work. Po had installed a inline electric guess he couldnt get it to work either.Part of the problem is I cant i.d. the engine. Its a big block but might be one of those truck motors( 366,427),would these tall deck motors have a diiferent style fuel pump than later big blocks? Maybe a different fuel pump rod length? Any help would be helpful thanx.:doah:

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

big blocks eat cams faster than small blocks i have found. possible fuel pump lobe is gone off cam shaft. and if heads ar about on top of upper water pump bolts then short block. if 1/4-3/8 or so gap in same area tall deck block.

one time when realy yung i got a fuel pump in and bolted down but rod wasnt on the arm. dont ask me how.

also if motor realy sludgey then tube for push rod could be so gumed up its not letting rod move.

and on small blocks there is the hole in the lower face of the block you pull bolt from and install longer bolt to hold push rod for pump change. if big block is same thay might have a bolt in there binding up the push rod also.

3. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Perfect answer for the tall deck I was looking for the easy way to i.d. it other than craming my fat head between firewall,hood and engine.:D As far as the push rod there was a plug that opened up so i could push it up and get the fuel pump arm in. I think my next move is to remove pump and crank engine and feel for movement. thanx again