Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Nov 12, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

How har is it to change a fuel pump is the drive shaft in the way do I need to take anything else off before I can take the pump off? Also is there another fuel filter under the trcuk somwhere if so where?

Thanks

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

brian:
    not to hard except that gas is very flammable,so be careful.
    If its a stock mechanical fuel pump? their on the passenger side of the motor. just above the pan & below the exhaust, in front. Held on with 2 bolts and has an in (from tank) and out (to carb) fuel connection. when you remove it the push rod usually falls. just slide it up and install the new.

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Should be a fairly straight forward "pop and swap" operation. Taking off the smog pump will give you a little more room to maneuver. I replace them from the top vs. the bottom...fuel stings like a mother in the eyes.

There should be a filter between the pump and carb, unless someone made an addition at one point.

Have fun!

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/abshort1>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Your fuel filter should be in your carb. Were the fuel line runs into your carb there is a small nut for the fuel line, and a large one (about and 1") that is part of the carb body. Unscrew the nut on the fuel line FIRST. Back it all the way out, and then unscrew the large nut. The filter is behind the large nut. Put in a new filter, and screw in the large nut carefully, and DON'T overtighten it. Then screw the fuel line back in.

If you unscrew the large nut first you will kink your fuel line. If you over tighten the large nut you will strip the threads in the carb, and have to get a new carb body, or move the fuel filter somewhere else in the line. (Ask me how I know)

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey brother, here's an idea- the cams on 305s are famous for losing the lobe that powers the fuel pump. I had tons of problems with vapor locks a few years back and was told to ditch the mechanical pump and replace it with an electric pump back by the tank. I've had the electric pump on for 7 years now and haven't had an ounce of trouble since it was installed......

ANYHOW, since you're planning on replacing your fuel pump. I would recommend going to the electric set-up, seeing that you have a 305.

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

6. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

If you do go with the electrical pump. I would suggest putting an On/Off toggel in line. Somewhere you can remember to turn it off, incase of an emergency or anti-theft. also make the pump active only when the the key is on. A running fuel pump with the float stuck in the carb, and just one pop you get A stack fire that can get out of control quick. (I know, Iv done it; burnt up my jacket that night)

I ain't stupid, just old...