Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, May 29, 2002.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Alright, here is situation. Fuel pump in tank is going out. Have 350 TBI in 89. Getting a 454 from Frisbie in July and am going to go to TBI on it, so question is what fuel pump will work on mine now, and still give me enough pressure and flow rate for the 454. What is current pressure for the system? 30PSI? and flow rate? Debating on going to external pump? Has anyone did this? and how did it go? Any input would be nice as I need to get truck running reliably again. Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The arguments FOR internal pump that I have heard, and don't doubt, are that they run cooler, since the fuel cools them. In some cars pulling the tank is pretty easy for a fuel pump swap, but in the K5's, I know its a hassle. Still, I will be going in tank. Stock GM applications lasted 100K plus, thats plenty for me.

IIRC, TBI PSI is something like 13-15 or something, TPI is much higher. You'll get the correct numbers shortly, I'm sure /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Walbro makes a full line of in tank pumps for ford 5.0, I have never looked for the GM applications but their pumps are cheap under/around $100 for a 255l/hr which should feed anything you are doing.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Dorian is right about the arguments about internal pumps running cooler due to the cooling effects of gas............but external pumps are meant to be external and do not generally have heat related problems. Personally I'd rather not have to do what my friend Norm (elkboy) had to do at midnight at Sand Lake, Oregon............drop tank to replace in-tank pump. True story, and he had just filled up...........not fun. I run external and have for over 3 years with no problems. Lots of guys on www.thirdgen.org , most notably a moderator named John Millican (of LT-1 intake onto TPI fame) run external and swear by them. I had no issues doing my install, and I still to this day have my original non-baffled tank (which is slated to be changed when Sparky87K5 gets his tank swap done). Either way works is the bottom line.

PSI on TBI is low...........PM azblazor for the info. He just did this swap.

5. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

mj or others on Walbro. Looking to go to Walbro and just making an access panel in cab. Found a part number for a 255lt for a camero/firebird application for 350. Should this thing fit? How different are the pump designs and mounting. I haven't even taken mine out yet so, just wondering. Thanks.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't know about the Walbro numbers, sorry. However, I also like the in-tank pumps. Cheap, easy to find anywhere, and the last (almost) forever. I would put it in the tank and make an access door "just in case".

Also, AFAIK, the TBI 350 and 454 use the same pump/pressure...