Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Apr 29, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I just got an electric fuel pump to take place of the the mechanical one. I have to run an oil pressure switched wire to it. Can I splice into the one that goes to the choke?

2. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

If you dont want the protection of having no fule supplied to your motor unless it is running and has good oil pressure then you can run the wire from any wire that is on when your ignition is on.

Using a relay would be a good idea as would a filter. Some filters arnt really ment to be sucked through and can starve your motor. All you need is a filter to keep big chunks from getting sucked into the pump.

Most electric fule pumps prefer to push as apposed to suck fule. If they are sucking then they tend to die quicker. That means you should stick the pump as close to the tank as possible and preferably below it so gravity is basicly feeding it.

Also be aware what pressure its spitting out, it might overpower your needel/seat in the carb and piss it off. You might need a regulator. Different carbs like different pressure.

I prefer to run mechanical in most cases since they will provide plenty of fule to most motors and you dont have the head aches but its your rodeo. I would recomend having a spare since they tend to [censored] on you with no warning at the most inoportune time.

3. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I've got a loud clicking coming from mine. Was told the cam on the shaft wears and causes the noise when it hits the rod. I put in a new pump just in case the diaphragm was worn, but it hasn't changed so I thought I'd go electric.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I just got an electric fuel pump to take place of the the mechanical one. I have to run an oil pressure switched wire to it. Can I splice into the one that goes to the choke?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah you could do that but use a relay. Already enough current draw on that circuit.
    Tap that choke wire and on a Bosch Relay go to terminal 85. Terminal 86 to ground. Terminal 30 to the battery and FUSE it. 10 amp should be enough unless the directions wit h the pump specify something else. Pump positive to goes to 87.