Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4wood, Mar 1, 2004.

1. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

All,
    I read in a post (can't recall which forum) the other day that after about 16 yrs or so (I think it said) the fuel pumps in GM trucks just crap out on you. Well, mine's about that old so I was thinking of replacing that bad boy over Spring break next week. So, the question is: is there a particular brand or some kind of performance fuel pump that anyone highly recommends? Is whatever Auto Zone has on the shelves ok?

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well i used an Autozone unit only because of the lifetime warranty, i have noticed on an average of the vehicles i have worked on and helped out with peoples rides, that the fuel pumps start running dead right around 100k or so, i'm not saying thats for all vehicles, may get alot more, but thats just what i see as an average. I changed mine last year when it died while i was out in SoCal i believe the truck had at the time around 150k or so. Still goin on at 208,900 now,,,, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can get a new AC Delco pump for $30-40 which is exactly what came in there from the factory. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Be sure to buy a new sock filter at the same time or the warranty is void. (This is true of all the brands that I know of).

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i recoomend GM parts if you plan on keeping the rig, buy cheap junk if you plan on getting rid of the rig soon

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

As much as i dislike buying parts from Autozone, they have the AC Delco fuel pump, and they give alifetine warranty with it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

i would get a quality pump. Like the A/C delco. Stay away from the cheap rebuilt pumps. Even though they have the lifetime warrenty. I had a problem with auto zone and Borg Warner rebuilt pumps. I went through 3 pumps before i got one that didn't knock! The pump springs were weak and I had a knocking noise from the push rod slapping around. replaced the pump 3 times before I forced them to give me a new pump!!

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

AC Delco. That is what installed when my mech pump went out. Never had a problem. AC Delco whenever and whereever possible.

Harley