Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Regulator & TBI questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Jan 19, 2007.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

OK. I'm kinda at a crossroads here. I'm in the process of getting my big block all up and running. The last variable I've not figured out is fuel delivery. My truck was TBI. I've searched and can't really find a definitive answer on the best way to go.

Ideally I'd get the MPFI kit from holley but I don't happen to have 2600 bucks laying around.

Is there a fuel pressure regulator out there that will allow me to keep the current pump and feed my healthy carb'd motor? I know I would need one with a return line but will it flow enough fuel?

How much of a PITA is it to swap out the TBI pump and go with a holley black pump on the frame rail?

Lastly, should I look into swapping in a 454 TBI setup and get a chip burned? Is a 454 TBI even up to the task of feeding a motor laying down 800hp?

Thanks guys as always.

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The stock TBI pump can supply enough pressure and as far as I'm aware, flow too. A carb will only need 4-6 psi, TBI pumps can easily supply 16-20 psi.
    454 TBI won't run 800 gee gees!
    Any carb regultor (check Summit) can regulate the TBI pump down to your flow/pressure.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im not 100% on this but from what I have heard, the stock tbi pumps can only push out a max of 15-16 psi.
    -Harrison

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Possibly, but still way more than a carb needs and I would imagine (but don't know for sure) can flow enough too.

6. SkysTheLimit

Many thanks for the replies. I'll scare up a regulator with a return and cross my fingers i don't lean out when the revs get up high.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you use your stock in tank pump you have to use a bypass regulator with a fuel return line.Like this Clicky:Bypass FPR
    If you dont your fuel pump will overheat and die in a short time. The stock pumps have to have fuel flow thru them to cool them.
    With a carb, the stock pump with the right regulator and fuel lines should feed Your BBC ok.

8. SkysTheLimit

Learn something everytime I come here even on normal days when I visit eleventy billion times.

Thank you.