Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Sender Question

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 87K54WD, May 16, 2002.

1. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

I have a 93 Camaro that is barely able to run. It has a new tune-up (wires, plugs, air filter, PCV, fuel filter) with every sensor being replaced (i.e. oxygen, air, coolant ecm, etc.) New fuel pump. Still have very rough idle and major hesitation / bucking. Took it to the dealer, and they said it was the fuel sender assembly. The fuel guage does jump all over the place, but my question is would a faulty fuel sender assembly also cause all the other problems. I know it is a fuel delivery problem because it fails the fuel pressure test when the key is in the "on" position and when it is started. Just not getting enough fuel. I thought it might be the fuel pressure regulator but the dealer said it was the fuel sender assembly. Any ideas or suggestions? Just want to make sure that a faulty fuel sender assembly would cause all these driveability problems before I take the tank down again to replace that instead. As I mentioned before, I just put a new fuel pump in because I thought that was it at first. I could care less about the fuel guage jumping all around, if that is all a new fuel sender assembly is going to fix.

2. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Well, in case anyone has something similar down the road, the new fuel sender assembly seemed to do the trick. The Camaro is running good for now. It took me a while before I had free-time to get to fix it, but I finally put in the new assembly and the guage and driveability problems are gone. I was really surprised to find the assembly could cause driveability problems as well as the typical guage problems. I can only assume that since the actual sender part shares the same neg. / black wire as the pump maybe that was dropping the voltage to the pump as well causing low fuel pressure output. The resistance / OHMs on the fuel sender part were all over the place and put my tester to infinity / overload (O.L.) as well. Never could get a steady reading on the old assembly. Maybe this will save someone else an extra pull down of the tank ... this was a PITA for a 4th generation Camaro. By the way, the GM dealer wanted to charge me about $800 to fix it. I saved about $600 by doing it myself and getting the part from a GM parts store online for about $100 less than the dealer would have charged.