Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel sending unit or gauge??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Jun 3, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I noticed that my fuel gauge was at "empty," but I knew that I had at least 1/4 of a tank. Then I hit a bump and it started working again. Then today it was at 3/4 of a tank and hasn't moved. I put probably $10 in it about an hour ago and it somewhat was working again, but wouldn't go below 3/4 of a tank on the gauge. I don't know how many of you have had this problem or could help, but anything would be good. Thanks
    Oh, I did tap on the sending unit to see if something was stuck, but nothing happened.

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)[​IMG]

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey Alex I have the same problem, well actually a little worse mine stopped working I removed it and the sending unit was all mest up, since I didn't have any money at the time and it runs me $90 at the dealer I didn't buy it, so I put the old one back on there and I'm just waiting for the money to buy the new unit, they sell them at the junk yard for $50 but I'd rather spend the extra $40 and have a new unit.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

3. lew

lew Registered Member

I have the same prob,
    First tried the easy fix, replaced the gauge, no go there. I think this is a common problem. one of the generals sick jokes, The GM sending unit. My 89 Iroc does the same thing.

4. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Last fall my gauge wasn't reading anything. It would just sit horizontal all the time. We pulled the tank and found that the ground wire was pulled out of the unit, so we stuck it back in and it worked. Unfortunately it's not the same problem this time. Wait, did you say $90 for the whole pump or the sending unit?? I know that the dealerships here won't just sell the unit, they sell the whole pump and that's about $350. Depending on what you are talking about, I might just work something out here. Thanks

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)[​IMG]