Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel System & Evap questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I failed emission today. I just got my TPI running and was trying to just sneak past but I didn't. I failed the charcoal canister emission lines test and the fuel tank pressure test. I think these are one in the same problem but I need some help with the fuel system.

I have 3 standard fuel lines on my frame rail. One was the sending, one return, and I think the third was the vapor line. Is this right?

Does the vapor line just let the fuel tank vent pressure threw that line to the charcoal canister? This is the impression I am under. Is this correct? So If I rerun the vapor line to the charcoal canister then I should be good right?

What do the vacuum lines that attach to the charcoal canister do? Thanks

Harley

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

EVAP on TPI (at least my '88) has a solenoid that purges the cannister based on certain conditions being met.

I don't have the whole EVAP setup as a clear mental picture, but basically it's one line form the tank to the EVAP, then *basically* one line to I assume the plenum for it to purge.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

one from the evap canister ties into PCV i know, and the vent line from tank to canister too of course and i dont know rest why are more, but there just are.

good luck

4. Hossbaby50

So the vapor line from the tank hooks up to the evap canister correct. That is all I really need I think. Thanks

Harley

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The evap line from the tank connects to the canister. Then there is manifold vacuum line that connects to a solenoid on top of the (correct) canister, that is controlled by your ECM. Should be pin A3 from the ECM; green wire with a yellow stripe. The other side of the solenoid (Pink wire with a black stripe) goes to switched power, hot in Run, Bulb test and Start, through a 10 amp fuse. On mine this same circuit also supplies power for the Air valves and EGR control solenoid. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Hossbaby50

I don't really plan on running the whole evap system, I just need to know how to make everything look right so I can pass the visual inspection part of the AZ admissions test. I just needed to make the connection of the vapor line to the canister and reconnect the vapor line so that the fuel tank would hold pressure to pass that test. Beyond that I wasn't going to hook any of the evap stuff up if I didn't have to.

Harley