Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel system hookup Q's: another round of questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Feb 17, 2007.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

OK, I've since figured out all the little fittings and whatnot that I need to hook up my fuel system. With the regulator it came out to about 250 bucks. Searching for a cheaper alternative, I found a different regulator (mallory) which led me to their site. Searching for whether or not the regulator could work with a EFI pump I found a forum post from someone in the same boat I am except with a smaller motor. Their tech response said with stock TBI pump, it might not even flow enough for his 383. If it's marginal for a 383, it's probably not going to work for a 496.

I'm faced with A) spending 250 on a setup that might not even work. B) starting from scratch and getting a high flow fuel pump like a holley black.

Questions that arise are these:
    If i go with a holley black, do i need a regulator as well? If so, what kind? Also, what would i need to do to my tank to convert it to work with an external electric pump instead of the in tank tbi pump?

i'm so confused now.

thanks guys

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  2. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I don't know if i ahve all the answer, but I just got done (today actually) installign a TPI engine into my 73 Blazer so had to run fuel lines. I used 3/8" brake hardline for the straight shot feed and Parker 836-6 (Same as Russell quick lok) rubber hose where needed. I connect everything to AN- 6, not AN -8 or AN -10. Everybody keeps me telling me hardline, but som eflex in the front made my life a lot easier...plus I feel it is better becaseu I kept collapsing the hardline...dooh.

I don't know for a fact, but am pretty sure all the GM lines are Saginaw. I bought a stock fuel filter and got made because it wasn't NPT or AN, it was Saginaw.

Also, I used the old carb sending line as the return line instead of running a new line.

Good Luck!

3. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

You're feeling warm and squishy? :haha:

Sorry man, couldn't resist :D

4. SkysTheLimit

hmm good point. I'm kinda stuck on the AN sizes as that is what the regulator has for fittings. -10 input and -8 return and output.

Could I re-flare the lines for NPT or am I stuck due to the diameter of the line?

5. SkysTheLimit

The back of my throat and up inside my nose sure does...

:haha::haha::haha:

6. noahrob

Look on Summit and find an adapter, I have used a ton on them and they are a good source to start investigating...

7. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

fuel pressure should be 7 to 9 psi on a carb.

8. SkysTheLimit

Thanks for the pointers. i've been going through their website for a while now trying to figure out the simplest/ cheapest way to do this.

I've found a fitting from the 16mm supply line to -8AN. I found a fitting for the regulator that is -8AN. then i'd just need a short length of -8AN hose. Apparently, that crap is expensive...

I have to run new return line and i'm going to run 1/2" since it supposed to be bigger than supply for regulator. that's the easy part.

I figure i'll run hard line around to the front of the engine bay and mate it with the braided line i already have hooked to the carb.

what a pain. i just wish the stock TBI could feed this beast or those commander setups weren't so expensive.

9. SkysTheLimit

I edited the first post with some new questions.

help!!

10. Jrgunn5150

I run stock TBI pumps with a summit regulator on my cam'ed Vortech headed 355, I just use the stock return lines, keep it to 7.5 psi. Or you could swap for a regular old Edlebrock, Holley, whatever floats your boat 125 gph mechanical for about 120 buck's.

11. SkysTheLimit

I'm worried about starving the motor of fuel. I found a kit on Summit that was a 140gph pump with regulator for 130ish IIRC. I think i'll just go that route. That way I can sell the in tank tbi pump and recoup some of the cost.

What all is involved with swapping out the stock pump? Do i need the sender assembly from a carb tank or can I mock it up somehow?

thanks

12. Jrgunn5150

You should, SHOULD, be able to just pull the pumps out and leave the sender's there ( I have dual tanks, lol), get a mechanical fuel pump and a pushrod for it, the associated plumpbing, and your good to go.

13. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

OKay, I don't know if this is going to help you out AT ALL.

I just did all the fule lines. Stock setup though, 350 TBI. I found out after I spent 150 dollars on braided custom conversion lines that canadian tire has "repair sections" with a signaw fitting at one end, and nothing on the other end.

It seemed GM used the signaws at every joining of major importance. Like at the tank, the fuel filter, and the braided hose coming from the engine. Every other joint was a single flare joint.

As for help with the pump and stuff, and I am not learned in that jazz.

14. SkysTheLimit

Thanks guys. Summit has aluminum line in 25' lengths for like 20 bucks. I think in the interest of ditching all this saginaw crap, I'm just going to run new lines with AN fittings. My cam doesn't have the pump provision on it so I have to run electric.

Does fuel pressure need to be higher for a hi perf motor or just more flow? How's that all work?

15. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

your pump needs to be able to support higher flow without losing pressure

16. SkysTheLimit

I talked to the guy that I got the motor from and got it all figured out. What I'm going to do is this:

Yank stock pump out of tank and sell it.
    Replace stock 3/8" supply line with 1/2" hardline
    140gph pump @ 9psi
    all -8AN fittings
    Stainless braided hose to fuel log on carb.

That way, most of it is hard line, it's all AN which is easy to work with and the short hose will allow the motor to move without tweaking anything.

I feel better having it sorted out. Now I just gotta get over dropping the $$ to make it happen and find the time to complete it. Wish you guys were closer so I could host a weekend kegger wrenching party. :D

17. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

just a quick question for you there Skysthelimit...

Why is considered better to run hard line, and not say a flexible stainless steel braided line?? I understand the hard line would be easier on the wallet, but would the braided be better??

18. noahrob

From everythign I have read (an dI read a lot) you want as much hard line as possible. Albeit I am not sure why...for me it is a tear issue.

19. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

That makes sense, but rally car drivers run the stainless braided stuff. I figured they would have more tear issues.

I think I rememebr there being a rule change or something. They could run the fuel lines through the cockpit.....

Thanks man.

20. noahrob

I agree. I went soft line at first and then decided to do the estraight shots in 3/8 hard line...but kept the soft stuff for the front to connect to the engien and in teh rear for the external fule pump...also, I am running TPI which has a little more PSI than TBI...