Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel system question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sapper, Jul 3, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

just met another k5 owner and while talking about the truck it came up that it didnt run to good. its a 91 but the previos owner put a elbrock intake and a carb on it. does the gas tank and sending unit have to be changed for this to work right? also guessing that the computer is still in it how hard would it be to put another tpi unit back on top? thanks.

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Depends on how much of a hacker the previous owner was. I would be warry of anything where someone cut off the EFI to put on a carb. Does it still have the electric pump? If it does, 24 PSI is WAY too much for a carb

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe you have to Paul the guy I bought mine from had a 91 and he did just that not for sure the details but I can ask him reason for his change was he said he knew carbs better than the tbi....

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

need some more input please /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If it still has the TBI distributor ( remote coil, no vacume advance) in it it will run like crap. It needs a older model HEI (coil in cap) Dist to work right.
    Also the TBI fuel pump(If still so equipped) delivers too much pressure for a carb. It should have a regulator that will allow no more than 6 psi max. Also I think the pump will eventually go bad unless it has a return line plumbed back to the tank.The pump is cooled by the fuel flow.

As for putting the fuel injection back on. You need to make sure that all the connectors/Fuel lines(supply and return) for the Throttle body and various sensors and controlls (there are quite a few) are still on the engine. Or come with the new manifold/TBI You will have to get a stock or after market TBI manifiod. Everything and all sensors must be hooked up properly or it wont run right.

Yur probabally better off trying to make the carb set up run right than converting it back unless you really know what you are doing with FI.