Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel tank access

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    Had a little fun last night, getting gas at the local quick-trip. Got the tank full and heard a nice splashing sound. The locking ring on the sending unit that goes into the tank had come loose and the o-ring was toast. Lost about 3-5 gallons of gas last night. Kinda tough to sit and watch gas pour all over a nice hot exhaust [​IMG]

Got the truck home and went to my handy dandy acces pannel. I've got a hole cut out above the tank in the bed that is about 10"x10" held down with some nice strips of 12 guage. Popped the pannel off, unhooked everything and took the sender out. HELLUVA lot easier than dropping the tank. It has been discussed before as to whether or not this would work and how well, let me tell you, it works AWESOME, had to crawl underneath to unhook 2 wires, but other than that, easy as pie. I would STRONGLY suggest this to anybody with fuel injection. Beats the hell out of dropping the tank, especially with 30 gallons of gas in it.