Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Tank anyone? Read this one!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Capman2k, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Sorry about the double post there... I'm a bit screwy at the moment :)

I'm going to assume that carb/fuel injector stuff is defective since I got dead again by Taco John's... I really need to invest in a camera for all the places I get "stuck" in :)

Anyway.. It's been advised that I just replace the tank instead of messing with cleaning it. I'm thinking plastic or something like that... Anyone have a spare 31 gallon they want to get rid of cheap?? I'll check around town for some good prices, but I have a feeling my best bet is to go used from a good truck (anyone?!?!)

Another thing... Is it just me, or do parents fail to see the humor in their teenage son driving his barely alive truck halfway across town, getting stuck, calling at 11 pm and having to pick him up?

Well... Maybe it's not funny to them but it is for me :)

79 K5 Blazer Cheyenne.... That's all I have to say about that.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The carb cleaner may have worked. See what happens when you do that all the crap on the bottom breaks loose. then your fuel pump sucks it up a clogs your fuel filter and your strainer on the end of the fuel pickup tube. Like I said before the only was to do it right is after use break the stuff loose you need to pump it out with something like a little hand pump from the filler neck not a fuel line. If you try to pull it through the fuel line you will clog the strainer on the fuel pickup tube. THIS IS WHY IT WILL RUN ROUGH THEN STALL OUT. Then what happens is after it sits awhile it will fall back down. Ive seen this happen many of times.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

bah... see if I ever disregard your help again :)

maybe I'll just trade it in for a bicycle or something... maybe I'll have better luck with one of those

4. DesertDueler

Try this. you may still be able to fix it without having to drop the tank. Just let it sit for awhile. Or if you dont what to wait, drop the tank, clean it out really good , and go to a parts store and pick up a new strainer. A good parts store will carry them. They are only like 10 bucks, but much easier they cleaning the old one out if its really bad. Dropping the tank isnt hard, as long as its not full of gas. The its very heavy.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

actually, it is full... that's why it hasn't been dropped yet... but since it dies on me after a few minutes of use, it's kinda hard to burn it off... and I can't bribe anyone to syphin for me...

so what's the thing to do after letting it sit a while (it'll have to stay in the parking lot overnight-gotta try and get it before the parking ticket patrol does)? or am I retarded and missed it?! :)

6. DesertDueler

When you let it sit for ahile the crap settles back down to the bottom. Thats why it start when it has sat over night of after a couple of days. I would recomend buying a hand pump. Put a hose on one end long enough to go to the bottom of the tank and put the other hose into something that with hold 31 gallons.

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

ahh... so basically the old fashioned syphin without the mouth full of hose/gas? I can handle that.... now to find something that'll hold 31 gallons :)

8. DesertDueler

Exactly. Its much better than getting a mouth full of gas, and it works just a quick. The only thing is you have to pump it. A little more work involed, but you can get all of it out this way.