Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Tank Baffle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DukeBoy88, Jan 12, 2003.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I removed my tank to install ORD's shackle hangers and found the plastic baffle "tray" inside the tank partially broken and floating around the tank unattached. The tank had its fair share of crud as well, so I'm going to clean it as well as I can, possibly reseal it. My question is can I remove the baffle, or is fuel slosh going to give me trouble. or is there a way to reattach it to the floor of the tank? I found replacemnet tanks in JC whitney for $150 and plastic replacements for $190, but didn't know if they were neccessary. thanks in advance.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i know of no way to reattach it to the bottom of the tank. being a tbi you might have a problem when you step on the gas or brake hard, it might surge as the gas is going away from the pickup. but this will only be when it is about 1/4 tank or so. if it was carburated it wouldn't surge because it doesn't need the psi to stay runnin.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

BlazzinOR (SP?) was running his truck without a baffled tank as I recall.

No, you can't reattach it, nor can you glue the plastic back together. Had a friend that works for a plastic company check that out for me, the plastic is too fuel soaked by now.

You can get brand new ones for around $135, its up to you.

Don't forget that *hills* (steep, not gradual) will cause problems when fuel level is low enough, not just braking and accelerating.

4. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Time to replace the tank /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I am going TBI on my engine and I have saddle tanks that I believe don't have baffles, so I am building a small 5 gallon tank that will be fed by the other tanks so I will have no fuel starvation. Kind of like an intermediate tank.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Hadn't thought of that, where are you mounting the intermediate tank? will it be float controlled to the other tanks?

7. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Your putting the pump in a 5 gallon tank? Aren't you worried about caviating the pump and screwing the pump up?