Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel tank & cell question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Apr 13, 2004.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

On the 3 hoses comming out of the top of the tank I know 1 is a vent 1 is a return and 1 is the feed for the carb but which ones are wich? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Fuel tank question?

the biggest is the feed, the medium (usually the middle one) is the return, and the smallest one is the vent /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

thanks i figured that out now... but im trying to figure out how to hook my return back up and I dont think I am going to be able to because Im not running a fuel cell mounted in the bed and with out having a pump that fuel isent going to run up hill back into the tank. How much is actually sent back? What would actually happen if I caped that line off? would I get worse MPG? or would it just hold onto the fuel untill its needed?

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I think you'd start running rich and get worse MPG. I don't think it would be too good but thats just a guess.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

are you useing a mechanical pump or electric pump? if electric, then you need to use a return line. if mechanical then i would get one that does not have the bypass port in the pump.

i never just plugged the return line, i think i would build up pressure and blow a hole in the return line. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

its mechanical, the other problem I have now is my return is going to be higher then the line... and gas dosent run up hill, with out a pump teh fuel pump dosent PUMP the gas back to the tank does it?

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Your return line comes out of the mechanical pump which is basically a bypass. When line pressure reaches its max (not sure what that is 5-7psi I think) it begins to bypass back to the tank. So yes the pump pushes it back to the tank. I think if you were to plug that line you would probably have problems with float bowls overflowing and so on. Could possibly damage the diaphragm in the pump. You could also get a pump that doesn't have the return line. Don't know what years they came on but some didn't have a return line on the pump itself. Or go electric.

8. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

I want to some day put an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed my truck as well, to get rid of my exploding, GM truck saddle tanks. I was also pondering the fuel return line situation as well. My 91 V-Body truck has a TBI fuel system. There is a company called http://www.aerotanks.com/ that may be able to answer your questions. I may call them tomorrow and ask the question myself about the fuel return lines on an auxiliary fuel tank.

The suction of fuel coming out of the tank may create a suction pulling fuel back into the tank on the return side. Maybe the use of a one-way check valve may be needed, but this is just a guess.