Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Tank Drop - How hard?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, May 21, 2001.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Okay, I haven't even picked up my trusty Haynes manual yet before asking this, but how much of a job is it to drop the fuel tank down? I'm trying to get at my shock mount bracket rivots and may drop the tank to get to them. It would also let me weld in a repair plate for the passenger side upper shock mount too without having to worry about blowing up my rig and myself and burning down the house. I have a receiver hitch too. T.I.A. for any replies - Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew
    http://community.webshots.com/user/beefcake83

2. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

i don't have any experience with it, but i can say that i would drive around a bit till my tank was almost empty before i'd do it

K5 just upgraded to rig status! [​IMG]

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

It's no biggie. You'll need a floor jack or something to lower it with, a tranny jack is a plus. I used my homeade tranny jack attachment and put a little pressure on the tank with it, then strapped the tank to the jack. There's two straps holding it on and I took the bolts out of these and lowered the tank a few inches so I could disconnect everything else easily. There's a few lines at the sending unit on top and then you'll have to disconnect the fill hose either at the tank or further up, it's up to you. Then pull the thing down and you've got that job whupped. Like said before, an empty tank is easier to remove than a full one. Mine was about half full and it would have been a major PITA if I didnt have the tranny jack.

HTH,
    Bryan

[​IMG]
    Sherman, Tx
    The road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    It's Cake.
    You may want to consider replacing the fuel pump and sending unit in it while down if you have the in-tank fuel pump.
    They are not that much $$. Put a 5'er of gas in the back and go for a ride. It's more fun than spilling gas on yourself[​IMG].

[​IMG]