Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel tank in bed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by needaride, Dec 22, 2004.

1. needaride

needaride Newbie

I wanted to move my stock fuel tank to the bed of my pick up... Anyone ever done this? All I need is wire for the sender, longer fuel lines (those are rubber right?), and some why to hold it down. Right?

2. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I chucked my saddle tanks and installed a Blazer tank in the bed. Yep, just longer hoses and lengthen the sending unit wire. Keep in mind, fuel hose gets expensive fast. I secured mine down with chain and eye-bolts through the bed. You can suck the eye-bolts down to tighten the chain. Be sure to put something between the tank and your bed. I used a semi mudflap from NAPA for $6.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

There's more too it than that!

Basically,thats all you need,a tank,longer fuel line(s) and wires to the sending unit(if you plan on having a gas gauge)and hold downs of some sort--BUT--

The DOT might not approve--they are getting pretty strict around here about fuel tanks--even some of the fuel cells my friends have mounted in the trunks of their muscle cars have come under scrutiny,and you might not be able to pass inspection(if your state requires an inspection sticker)--might be wise to ask at an inspection station what exactly they will allow--I've seen guys with old plow trucks put the stock tank in the bed with 2 bungy cords and try to get a sticker--they didnt!.-Even contractors with a factory made tank to fill diesel vehicles mounted in the bed have to be DOT approved,at least in my state now..:crazy:

4. needaride

needaride Newbie

Thanks alots!

5. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Took some pics if interested

Fuel Tank.jpg

Tank1.jpg

Tank2.jpg

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I did this with the Blazer. And I did exactly what you said. Longer fuel lines and the sender is all.

Here is a pic of mine. I built the cover to protect it. Underneath is just a stock tank.

[​IMG]

7. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I still want to build a hinged diamond plate cover for looks and protection. Yours looks sharp, btw.