Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel tank leak and factory ujoint question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alec78, Mar 17, 2003.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Two questions:

1) I have a small crack in my fuel tank. So small it leaks about 3 drops a day (so far). Anyone know a temperary fix just until I can replace. FYI its a diesel.

2) Is a propane torch hot enought to melt the plastic injection on factory u-joints?

Thanks!

2. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

J-B weld makes a product that will dry even when it is wet or has fuel on it just for that reason. J-B weld is great :P
    hehe
    J-B weld waterweld

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

There is gas tank repair epoxy...mix the two putties together and then spread it over the leak area. It will work if there is gas present at the time too. I think it's a Permatex product, but not sure on that.
    Yes, a propane torch will work fine to purge the plastic out of the d-shaft...that's what I used on mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I can't help you with the fuel tank but a propane torch is hot enough to get that nylon out... and it smells like poo.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I had a leak in my diesel tank a few year ago, I just rubbed a bar of soap into the crack (the soap doesn't disolve very fast so it stops the leak for a while). Then I just cleaned it up with some solvent and a wire brush and epoxied a quarter over the hole. Worked great!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

THANK YOU ALL!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The good to this bad side is now I can fix my front d-shaft!