Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel tank location? with --->pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stomper, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I'm putting a 27 gallon K5 fuel tank in my K10 short box. I"m concerned about having enough clearance between the tank and the diff. There is 11" between the diff. and the tank (dry tank, no box or 42" spare and on and on ). Granted I won't get 11" of compression with both springs at the same time and I don't think flexing will make it hit either but I still have some doubts. The suspension is 3 leaf 57" springs with overload, 1" homemade zero rate, axle moved 1" to the rear, ord shakle flip moved to the rear 1 3/4", stock shakle. Here are the Tank pics Do you think I'll have a problem?? Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Stomper /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You'll be fine - that looks like plenty of room. You'd have to flatten both springs in order to get the pumpkin up that high - and I doubt that will ever happen off-road. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

You could also put in some bump stops to keep the axle down from the tank....

4. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

hey that looks good! im planing on doing a similar fuel tank swap in my K10. when you get it all done will you tell me about any problames/hang ups you had? so i know what im in for?

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, I think you may have problems, that thing is going to squat way down with weight on it. I've got about the same setup with the tank raised 2" and I added a bump stop that does get hit. Basically, I just hung a cross member right at the front of the tank and put a standard rear axle bump stop so that the tip was in the center. It hits my C14FF about 1.5" before the tank and I've hit it several times. In fact, I bent the 1/4 bracket that holds the bump and had to straighten it and add gussets.

6. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Were you going to add a body lift? If so, you can always move the tank up the same amount as the body lift. You will need to engineer a new inner frame ledge for the tank to rest on, and then shorten the tank straps. I did it on my 71 and it looks great from the back having the tank nice and high. JT /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I am planning on a 2" body lift. So I may be able to raise the tank some. In those pics the tank flange/seam is under the frame. If I put it over the bottom frame rail it will be over 2" higher. I can also relocate the frame cross member behind the tank all the way to the end of the frame which will move the tank 5" back. This will also make for better shock mounts on the axle. And I will be putting the bump stops back on. Thanks for the replys guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Stomper