Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel tank relocation to bed of truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Nov 12, 2002.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm wanting to relocate the fuel cell to the bed of the truck. What companies offer these tanks and how sealed are they? I will most likely have the top on in the winter with the occational drive or maybe in the summer with a softop, the only thing I'm worried about are the fumes in the truck.
    I'm kind of wanting a tank that I can still fill from the outside somehow but if I have the roll the back window down thats fine too!

I like the MO-Offroad setup with the spare, mostly likely the back seat is coming out so thats not a big deal.

Anyone have any sites or prices?
    Thanks
    Jeremiah

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Summitt and Jegs have fuel "cells" that may be able to be used. In my opinion it still would raise some serious safety concerns.

John

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The tank you show was made in my shop. It is made from 1/8'' thick stainless and has a five gallon resevoir(sp) that protudes down through the floor. As far as safety, I would have to agree that it needs to be separated from the passenger compartment somehow just to prevent any fumes from entering. If you set the tank up to reuse the existing filler neck, all you would have to do is build a "floor" above the tank to seal it off. A cheaper option than an after market tank would be to cut out the floor and move the stock tank up as high as possible and reconnect the filler neck above the floor line.

4. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Not questioning your decision to go to a fule cell just kinda curious why you want one? Might be other ways to fix your delema than a cell in the passenger compartment /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. jjlaughner

clearance and the ability to relocate the rear shocks, moves the center of gravity, ads weight over the rear tires not behind the truck. I dont know really, something to do... another mod /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. jjlaughner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The tank you show was made in my shop

[/ QUOTE ]
    you make some cool stuff! I'm going to try making my own rear shock bracket and bumpers similar to like what you made (I took some pics at the Indy Jamboree ;-&gt; )
    I was kind of worried about the tank being in the truck but I would like to get it up higher than where it is. I saw an artical where one was placed half above the bed half under. But it was still in the truck I think? I hadn't thought about fires and stuff, I was more worried about the fumes.
    Maybe I'll rethink things, J

7. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Well I was hoping that you could have gotten away with a stock setup or a sumped stock tank /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well, a cell can be made to not vent to the passenger compartment and use a vent going to the outside. You wouldnt have to worry about fumes but I still wouldnt do it without sealing it in a seperate enclosure from the passenger compartment. And you also might want to look at your local laws, It might not be legal to just throw a cell in the back.

The farther forward you move the gas the more weight you will take away from the rear tires. Also the higher you put the gas up will move your center of gravity up. I want as low a center of gravity as possible. Granted the distance you will move it wont change things much. I'm no help on the shock deal though. You could just whip out the welder and fuse a peice of plate steel on the tank /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Just dont smoke around the gas tank.....saftey first /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

And remember, if you ever want to weld anything on a gas tank you need to have it chemically cleaned first, washing it out with water won't keep it from blowing up in your face. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've seen some people make their own tanks. They build their own out of 1/4" with 14 gauge baffles/supports and suck the fuel out of the bottom of the tank. This keeps you from having rubber lines in the cab since it'll be going through the floor. For the fill they just use a hard neck to the outside of the cab and use the old pre-fueldoor grommets. They put theirs behind the wheelwells for the whole width of the back of the K5. Their tailgate didn't open up either though. They did it that way to move some weight to the back of the K5 and to increase fuel capacity.

10. jjlaughner

Well, I guess I'm going to buy some new tank straps and get the factory tank rehung for the time being. Maybe next summer? Thanks for all the input! Jeremiah