Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Tank Relocation???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DBLAZER, Sep 29, 2000.

1. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Whats up all. I am going to be doing something with the ass end of my rig. I am considering bobbing it, however I just dropped a pretty penny into the bedliner and Im not ready to just ruin quite yet. So what I am thinking is that i am going to try to tuck the tank up into the body more and try to get a better departer angle out of it. I figure if I tuck it and then move the bumper up into the body better and so on . What I really want to know is if anyone has raised their tank, or relocated comepletly? Thanx guys. HAVE A NICE DAY!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, since I know you like to hardcore wheel your k5, and you leave the top off, you might check into removing the tank all together and move it to the bed area or buy a new larger fuel cell, but either way move it to the rear floor somewhere, think of the departure angle now, plus when you bob it later it will not be in the way. I have a sawzall, come on over. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

You know Steve, I am sitting here staring at my K5 just itching to start another project on it. It seems like for the past year it has had something going on all the time. Now, the axels, steering, lift, case, liner, its all done. I just dont know what to do next. Like I said, I am still seriousley thinking bout the bob job, but like I said, the liner, ouch, it would be ruined in the rear. I would have to grind it away on order to weld and I just dont think I am prepared to just throw away 700 bucks. I have already done that once when I had two new drive lines built and the within a month I ordered my ATLASSII and had to have two new ones built, scrapping the month old ones. I think that if i get rid of all the over hang on the rear ie, fuel tank stock bumper, lower part of the rear 1/4 panel I can drasticly improve my angle. BUT!!!!!! All of this must wait til after the wedding because ever spare penny is going towards that. Only two weeks left, then back to life as normal.[​IMG] Alright. see ya. HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I think either Grim or Depdog, raised their tanks about two inches.. I am sure they will respond!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

You just THINK that it will be back to life as normal. I hope your wife likes your blazer more than you do, cause otherwise, there will be no money or time for it. lol Anyways, I wouldn't trade my wife for anything. I actually like her more than my blazer, which is something I didn't think possible before I met her. Congrats and good luck!!

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

6. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I installed 2 inch body lift to accomadate my doubler setup. Since I had the extra space I cut the two gas tank crossmembers flush with the inside of the frame and moved them up 2 inches and rewelded them. It is a bit tricky getting the tank flanges above the lower frame rail but it will fit. It was well worth the cheap investment.

Steve Frisbie
    85 m1009

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I am also thinking of bobing the rear of my blazer.I think the best way for this is a fuel cell in the back then build a shelf over the tank for a cooler and toolbox to live.I cut the lower part of the fender and built a custom bumper out of C-chanel.I cut the frame up and back so the bumper is flush with the body not hanging down.Now my tank is the lowest thing in the rear.Luckily I have a skid plate.I also thought about mounting the tank in the bed with half of it going through the floor then building a box around it along with inset toolboxes and a shelf for a cooler to sit on a be tied down.To do this I would cut a square hole in the floor small enough so the tank flange would sit on the floor along with strap undernieth for support.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

8. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

I moved the tank on my 75' forward 4". I had the luxury of doing this as part of the frame off work. I cut the 8 rivets free and moved the tank cross members up in front of the rear body mount. The forward member lip was trimmed to give full clearance to the rear diff. I then bolted the members back to the frame useing 7/16 bolts. I also cut and reweled the tank with a good taper to the back of the frame. All of this was easy for me, but with the body mounted it would be a pain in the a$$ to get to the top rivets.