Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel tank removal question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by caryhenry, Feb 24, 2003.

1. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

I've been living with a leaky fuel tank for several months now, and I am finally getting around to replacing it. I have the original skid plate package on my tank, and I can't figure out how to remove the plate and tank. I looked at it today, and on the front side of the tank I can see the bolts which hold the skid plate on, but the tank straps don't bolt in, they just have the 90degree angled bar. I also couldn't see anything to unbolt on the backside of the tank. I have a trailer hitch, and I can't see any bolts or strap connections on the rear side of the tank. Please let me know how I should go about removing this tank. Thanks very much for your help.

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Open you tailgate and look down between the gate and the body. There will be 3 bolts that hold the skid plate on and there will be two studs with double nuts on them, they hold the straps for the gas tank. I would recommend a lot of PB Blaster on the studs before attempting to remove the nuts, they break pretty easy. On the front side of the skid plate the bolts are on the top side of the plate.

3. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

Once you remove the skid plate bolts, how do you get the skid plate off? I tried pulling at it, and it wont get over the gas tank seam.

4. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

When I replaced my tank the trailer hitch had to come off to remove the skid plate. Good luck.

5. Delay

Delay Newbie

I just repalced my fuel pump that was in my gas tank, not a fun project. First i pulled my tow package off wich wasnt an easy task them took off the bumper for easy access. You will be able to yank the skid plate off then, just give it a good tug. I used a floor jack to hold my tank at a good angle so i could disconect all the lines without breaking anything. Have fun!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree.

Pulled my skid plate and tank off with the trailer hitch in place. A little difficult getting the skid plate off, but as I recall, if you unbolt the skid plate bolts nearest the axle, then undo the rear ones, if you bend the skid plate down from the axle side, it will allow the three "fingers" that the rear bolts attach to, to come straight down, releasing the skid plate.

It doesn't take much, but it made mine fairly easy to remove.

Also drilled a few holes in the bottom of my skidplate while I had it out, noticed the tank was starting to rust in the middle where water is allowed to puddle.