Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Tank Sending Unit-

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I have a fuel tank sending unit Im trying to hook up to a gauge.

I need some help here- First, I need a recommendation on a cheap fuel gauge. It doesnt have to be big, it can be 1" for all I care, I just want to mount it on the A pillar.

2. I have a stock sending unit from a k5- I see 3 wires total- One seems to be the ground, and there is also a black/grey wire pair that has a harness connector. One of the wires goes to the sending sending unit mechanism, and the other goes to the fuel pump.

Heres the question- Can the system still run without a fuel pump in place? The other question is, how do I hook it up to work with the gauge? I hooked up a meter to read from the two prong harness, and I get random readings for resistance- I'll try and clean up the contacts tomrorow to see if it helps. Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So you aren't running an FI rig? I'd suggest you sell that FI one to me if it works, and buy the correct one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

With the pump gone, you would need to extend the fuel pickup line to cover where the fuel pump was, plus deeal with the strainer somehow, which would be more difficult. Not only that, if this is the wrong sender for the truck, how do you rectify the hose connections up top? (unless you are running TBI lines already)

These sending units are big $$ new, ($180 I belive) depending on how easy it is for you to find an older unit, I would seriously look into selling what you have.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

its kinda a semi frankenstein application.

The stock fuel pump isnt really capable of moving the thickness of vegetable oil. I tried with 2 amps, Im sure if I put in some more amps, it would probably move.

I've extended the hose to the bottom of the pickup location-
    The reason I've gotten rid of the fuel pump is because im using a electric lift pump to suck it out of the tank. (Also, as recommended a filter before it reaches the lift pump). Hence, why a strainer / pump isnt necesary in tank.

So still, can you tell me what those wires are for? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One wire is for the sender, one is for the pump 12V+. Can't recall off the top of my head which is which, should be pretty easy to figure out though I'd think.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have an 86 k5 carb sender unit somewhere to get rid of, or scrap whenever i come across it again by accident, but ive got other units around too so ive gotta figure out which is the 86 k5 one,

good luck