Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Anteak, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

The fuel gauge doesn't work along with just about everything else, but first things first. Just bought the truck and I don't like running out of gas. Is it better to start at the dash gauge and work back to the tank? What am I looking for? Voltage from which wire with the ign. on then off? What's the R&R procedure?

73' K5, 350, Manual.

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I think the sending unit should messure 10-90 Ohms. unhook the pigtail at the gas tank and grab some resitors in that range to see if you guage moves accordingly. Don't remember what value marks full or which marks empty. You'll figure it out when you are tinkering with it.

It could also be corrosion onthe connection so try that first.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I used to have a guide on chasing those down, let me look around and see what I can come up with.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

4. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Check this site:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://members.core.com/~faldrich/fuelgage.htm>http://members.core.com/~faldrich/fuelgage.htm</a>

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Start with this: Pull the pos wire off the tank where it clips and measure for 12V with the key on between the wire and your tank bare metal. If no 12V, trace your power from the fusebox. If you have 12V, switch to Ohms (resistance) and measure from the tank itself (anywhere as long as it touches bare metal on the tank) to the frame of your truck. The tank needs to be grounded to the frame. If you dont get a ground there, take a short piece of wire, scratch a bare spot on the tank and a bare spot on the frame and see if your guage reads. If it doesnt, your sender may be shot. If your guage reads with your little piece of wire making the contact, you may have to install a new ground. I drilled thru the edge of my tank, put a self tapping screw thru with a wire and lug on, and drilled a hole thru the frame nearby and screwed the wire to the frame as well. The tank wasnt grounding to my frame after I had it down and undercoated it.
    Hope this helps,

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>