Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel tank sending unit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MA87K5, Sep 21, 2000.

1. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Will A sending unit from an earlier K5 (pre injection) fit an 87 K5 tank? Because the one for the 87 is so expensive, and the one for an earlier one is around $85. I was thinking about putting an electric in the engine bay. Thanks for any help.

2. dem

dem Registered Member

I don't think it will work because the two sending units are set-up for different ranges in ohms. If you change the sending unit you will have to change the gauge to match.

3. If the tank you get the guage for is the same size they should be the same.But you could have a few problems.
    1. The number of outlets from the sending unit/pickup.

2. The fuel pump needs to be as close to the tank as possable for it to perform its best.

You already have the wires at the tank,just mount it in line
    next to the tank.A good spot would be where the soft lines meet the hard lines on the frame rail.

P.S.
    Don't forget a good filter.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

4. 87JIMMY

87JIMMY Registered Member

I feel tour pain, a few months back, I spent $600 on a new tank and sending unit for my Jimmy. Last week there was a 40 Gal. tank and sending unit for a '87 on EBAY. Do a closed auction search maybe it didnt sell. Also, ther was a 87 on the parts board that was being parted out. Good luck

Scott 87JIMMY

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status