Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel tank strap replacement

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Mastiff, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My tank straps rotted off, so I need to replace them. I dropped the tank and I see that the original straps are riveted on or something like that. What's the right way to go, just drill out the rivets and use nuts/bolts? Is there clearance for a bolt with a normal head, or do I need carriage bolts?

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Replace the straps with new ones from LMC, no need to remove the rivets since they come with the bolts on it.
    25 Gal tank part # 32-5821
    31 Gal tank part # 32-5822

3. Mastiff

No, I mean on the other end where it connects to the bracket with four rivet looking things. The bottom side. I can snap a digital picture if it'd be easier.

4. Mastiff

Oops, I should have said this is for my CUCV (86 pickup) passenger side tank, not my K5.

By the way, anyone know a source for the padded things between the straps and the tank?

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Cant help with the pickup tank straps, but LMC sells the kit for the rubber pads for the tank, or just do what I'm going to do. I'm going, today, to a few service stations to see if I can round up an old inner tube, that I will then cut up to make them. I figure I should be able to find one that would just be thrown out otherwise. No sense in spendind needlessly.

6. Mastiff

Are you talking about the "anti-squeak" kit? I thought that was it, but from the pictures it doesn't look like they go under the straps (between the straps and the tank) like the original cork looking stuff. I think they are an aftermarket thing that goes near chafe points on the frame and brackets.

I posted my question in "the garage" to get more eyes, sorry for the double post. Turns out my tank is leaking like crazy now that I wire wheeled some rust off it. I'm going to order a replacement tank now... :frown1:

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The anti squeak pads that I took off my K5 look just like the heavy felt paper (tar paper) used for roofing. That's what I had laying around and used that.