Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel tank suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater_k20, Feb 19, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm looking to eliminate the saddle tanks on my K10. i'd like to either mount something in the bed, or under it, if i can find something that will tuck up into the frame enough to not have to worry about it getting snagged on anything. i have considered the usual fuel cell, but have heard horror stories from guys who run them in the open bed of a pickup. they have said water getting in through the vents is a problem. that is my major concern since after i lift the truck, it is now too big to fit into my garage. does any one have any ideas or suggestions on what would work well for me? i'd like a capacity somewhere in the neightborhood of 20-30 gallons, and i dont mind cutting my bed to mount them securely and out of the way. thanks in advance.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

heres a link to put a blazer tank in a short bed /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/blazertank.html

i plan on somthing similar with my k10 and a sub tank /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

it sounds like you are really cranking on this thing. whats all different since it left me? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

it sounds like you are really cranking on this thing. whats all different since it left me? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TJ, i'm familiar with Chris's site, i was just concerned about the tank hanging back there, possibly below the frame. isnt in wide open for damage if its back there? what kind of capacity do the Blazer tanks have?

as for what i've got done to it... when we got it home we immediately stripped the cab off of it, and hauled it away, it was too far gone to save. i gave the front fenders, hood, inner fenders, core support, and doors to one of the guys who was helping me. which leaves me with a rolling chassis and a bed full of goodies (still havent figured out what all is in there, too much snow) its sitting in my driveway, waiting to be put in the garage, which im going to go out and do in a few minutes. i wasnt home last weekend to mess with it, because i helped Tim pull the 10 bolt out from under his truck, and get it ready to put the 60 in. this weekend i'm going to go to pick up a 465/Hydro clutch/205 for it, then i'll be ready to start bolting stuff together. next weekend will probably be dedicated to stripping the front springs off of it to straighten the frame, cleaning everything up, and possibly setting the 465/205 in place. if i have time i'd like to put the 3/4 ton axles under it, if nothing else, just the front for now. my original goal was to have it up and running by May 15 for the show in Lima, but i think Hanks in Ottawa (Aug ?) is a better goal, i dont want to rush it too much.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you could put the blazer skid plate on it and it should be fine for damage. the blazers had two tanks a 25 gal and 31 gal. i believe the 25 is shorter by like 3 inches

sounds like your having more fun with it than i did /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    you could put the blazer skid plate on it and it should be fine for damage. the blazers had two tanks a 25 gal and 31 gal. i believe the 25 is shorter by like 3 inches

sounds like your having more fun with it than i did /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well, we tried to put it in the garage, but got it stuck in the yard, not enough snow has melted yet. i'm going to leave it sit where it is for the weekend, and try again on Monday. my dad noticed today that the frame is bent a little worse than we realized when we picked it up, but nothing that cant be straightened with a little bit of work. after thinking about it, the May deadline doesnt sound so far off. i'll have most of the parts for it very soon, with the exception of the engine, which is just going to be a basic rebuild of my Vortec 5.7, and throw a carb on it for now. i'm thinking about going TBI later.