Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Tank Switching

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Jul 22, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok this is driving me nuts, I have 3 fuel pumps on my truck. I have dual tanks, each one has a stock in tank pump, and then I have a hi-pressure pump on the frame rail. When I run on the left tank all is fine, when I switch to the right tank, the system loses about 4psi and the frame rail pump starts making a high pitched screaming sound, like its not getting enough fuel to quiet it. I replaced the fuel switching valve (had a warranty on the one that was on the truck anyway) and it fixed it for about 4 days. Well its doing it again. The book I have only has wiring for the carb'd trucks fuel tank systems, and they dont have in tank pumps. I have checked everything I can think of, and for it just to start doing it again, what gives? Any ideas?

Also, when I switch tanks the fuel gauge never moves.......

2. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Check the voltage in your wiring to the switch and your fuel pump on the rail. Make sure it is 12 volts. If it is too high or low it can damage your pump and/or switch.

3. hanger

hanger Newbie

PULL THE PUMP FROM THE TANK (ITS NOT FUN)AND LOOK AT THE "SOCK" ON THE END OF THE PICK-UP TUBE. THE ARE A PRE-FILTER AND I HAVE HAD THEM PLUG. THE FIRST SIGN IS USUALLY THE PUMP STARTS TO WINE. IF THE PUMP IS THE STOCK ONE FROM THE FACTORY YOU MIGHT WANT TO GO AHEAD AND REPLACE IT SENCE YOU WENT TO ALL THE TROUBLE TO GET IT OUT....

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well to the switch hasnt had any mods, the fuel pump on the rail is spliced in per edelbrock instructions, into stock wiring, so should get same voltage as stock pumps.

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Chris if you want me to scan that that stuff like we talked about give me a holler..