Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel tank treatment?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Dec 15, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Well I had to pull the fuel tank on the jimmy this weekend, it's sat dead for awhile, and I think it's because of the sediment clogging up the fuel pump. Well I drained it and took it to the carwash and sprayed it out the best I could, shaking it trying to get the 30 years of sediment out of it, well there is still some in there, any ideas on how to get the rest out? I don't have a welder so I really don't want to drill a hole in the corner. Also isn't there some kinda of treatment stuff you can put in there to kinda seal/preserve the inside of the actual tank? or is that just a service that's done professionally?

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have seen several companies that have fuel tank sealers. POR 15 and Eastwood both sell a sealer. Does it work I don't have a clue? Maybe someone else does? Hope this helps.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Take it to a radiator shop and they can clean it and put a great sealer in there for you. It is a lime green sealer, costs about 45 bucks around here to have it done, but it is outstanding.

John

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

As Chevyracer said take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it out overnight to clean it out and they sometime have a sealer if not you can go to a motorcycle shop and buy som Kleem Fuel Tank Liner.

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

how much does this motorcycle stuff cost? $45 is too much right now...

6. chevyracing

Kreem is very expensive for the amount you will need. Go to www.jpcycles.com and look up part number 15-293 or part number 15-291. There should be a desription there. The name of the product is KREEM and you may be able to find it on eBay or on the web somewhere cheaper.

John

7. chevyracing

8. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Les, Like the others I had my 31 gallon tank boiled out at the radiator shop and then coated it with the Eastwood tank sealer. I used two kits for the large tank and that is a lot of sealer to get setup. One kit should be enough just follow the instructions to the letter. I don't remember all of the steps but they include washing the tank with a solvent and etching with a acid before using the kit. It does a real nice job.

9. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

that service around here is $85.00.

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well considering the cost and broke state I think I"m just gonna do what I can for now and not worry about sealing it, the tank has a dent in it anyway, so somewhere down the road I'll replace it with a bigger tank. With the cost of this it's a good chunk of the purchase of a new tank so.....thanks for all the input guys.

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

They did a bit on Trucks about this one time. They used a chain and a cleaning agent to clean the inside of the tank. Here is the info on Kleem. Kleem Combo pack (prep and tank sealer) goes for $26.99. Tank Prep only (two part mix)$14.99. Tank Sealer only $15.99 a pint. Tank Degreaser $6.99 a pint. I took these prices out of the J&P Cycle Catalog 1-800-397-4844 or www.jpcycles.com

Hope this helps!

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Most new tanks you'll need to test and seal before you use it also. That goes for used ones too.