Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nc87k5, Jun 10, 2004.

1. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

just had my fuel pump replaced and the mechanic told me that it wouldn't hurt to replace my tank, says there's a lot of rust inside of it and said the baffle is loose. where can i get a fairly decent priced tank and is there any optional tanks i can install, say like a fiberglass tank?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

make sure it's baffled But not a bad price. I think I paid about $130 for one to my door, although I can't find the company I bought mine from.

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

thanks, a lot cheaper than the one he quoted me, said it was 400 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. any place I can buy a good but cheap sending unit for my 87 350? I looked in LMC and they just have one for a 25 gallon tank and none for the 31 for my year model truck.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Good luck on the sending unit. Maybe check some of the chain auto parts places (pep boys, autozone, etc) but IIRC, GM gets about $400 for the TBI senders.

Any reason you want to replace it? There is a repair procedure floating around if the sending unit isn't working correctly, basically entails cleaning the rheostat (think thats correct term) that the float "rubs" on to determine fuel level. My sending unit is hypersensitive to fuel slosh, and sticks at one level, so I'm betting mine is just garabge all around...it too came from a tank with a loose baffle that probably beat it up over time. I'll still try to repair it though.

5. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

mine was working until today, the mechanic said the unit was cracked and he soldered it back, and now it's stuck on 1/8 of a tank. So I figured since I had to take it out, might as well replace it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. but for 300-400 big ones /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif, I may try something else. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.giffor the link for the tank, it's a lot cheaper than what he quoted me.

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been thinking about the one in JC Whitney. They have a plastic one also. Always had good service from them over the years.

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

These are the best gas tanks in the world.

http://www.gastankrenu.com/welcome.htm

They can simply give you a brand new one with thier renu stuff on it, or renu yours. The common tanks, like 20gal chev truck pu tanks, they have in stock and will just exchange.
    If they can't fix yours, they'll give you one just like, no extra cost. P/U and Blazer/burb tanks run about $130

I just bought two brand new "renu'ed" for my '86 c10 daily driver..there is a hardend rubber coating on them, and they last forever, guaranteed.
    I had my 50gal K5 tank -renu'd years ago, and my buddies '75c10 daily driver has had a renu'd tank since late 80's no sign of any wear or rust. Just make sure you undercoat the piss out of your new straps, and you shouldn't ever have a rust problem with your gas tank again..

Hopefully there is a dealer close enough to you, they are all over SE michigan here (seems they concentrate in the rust belts)

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    50gal K5 tank

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

-- A

9. 73k5blazer

It was on the truck when I bought it. Could be a homemade job. The chruch I bought the truck from in Arizona, who was the original purchaser, said they had it installed in the 70's for long chruch excursions...I have no idea where it came from, but it holds 50 gallons....

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It was on the truck when I bought it. Could be a homemade job. The chruch I bought the truck from in Arizona, who was the original purchaser, said they had it installed in the 70's for long chruch excursions...I have no idea where it came from, but it holds 50 gallons....

[/ QUOTE ]

I 'member Back In The Day, Hickey had the 43 or 45 or so... which maybe is nominal capacity and that's what you have... but damn, that's cruising range!

-- A

11. 73k5blazer

I could be the hickey, I saw picture of that somewhere, it's similiar, but looked a bit different. Mabey they had different models. Dunno, this one has a skid plate built into the bottom of it as well, it has a beavertail on the back...it's 50 gallons almost exactly, when I had it-renu'ed, (before I tore the truck down to it's current condition which is still being built with glass body and all..), from bare empty, I remember I put a full 5 gallon gas can in, drove 3 miles down the road to the gas station, and it took just over 45 gallons more. The renu is supposed to take a bit from overall capacity as well, my 20gal chev pu side-saddle exploding tanks were 19.8 before renu and 19.0 after...I do tend to "fill" it up (gotta test that send unit 0-ring you know)...
    the renu guy told me never to lose that sending unit, you'll never find one to fit it if you do, he said...

12. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

My 74 has a 43-Gallon HICKEY Replacement Tank. I still have the sales receipt and a HICKEY ENTERPRISES INCORPORATED Blazer Accessories brochure. They also offered a Skid Plate for the Fuel Tank. I had a 75 years ago with a HICKEY Sidewinder Winch. HICKEY had some cool stuff back then.

13. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. i'll check it out. thanks.