Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel tank

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2puller, Jul 8, 2004.

1. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have been viewing you guys posts for a while and used it to get my truck through some issues with cold starting etc while not joining the board.So I would like to say thanks first and foremost.

Now I have a fuel leak at the tank and can't find a fuel tank that will fit a C vin according to the parts stores. I just joined up to get the Search feature but still can't see anything on fuel tanks. I am guessing that since none of you mention fuel tanks in the conversion threads that I can use a R/V vin Gas tank in my 83 C10 C vin truck?
    I want to start enjoying the fuel savings of my 6.2 again but right now it leaks about 1/2gal every night /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The tank itself is the same as the gas engine trucks, but the float, sock and sender are diesel specific (or so I've been told) I had a 350 in my truck and swapped in a fuel tank from a diesel truck (that had been cleaned) and all I did was remove the water in fuel sensor thing from the sender.

When I swapped the 6.2 in I just flushed that tank...

So you could get a regular tank and swap in your diesel sender/float assembly.

Rene

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that was what I thought. JCWhitney has regualar saddle tanks for cheap money but want 150$+ for "diesel tanks". /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

will the differences of an in tank pump... ? I cant think of any reason why a gas tank wouldnt work for a diesel system- just maybe not the other way around...

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I actually called a few small parts supply houses that are locall to me and found that they list the same tank for both diesel and gassers. So I am picking up a new tank from them for 100$ today. JCWhitney is probably selling the same tank to the diesel guys for 50$ more /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That sort of thing is common. A local parts place here sells Chev 3/4 ton calipers for $15 more than half ton calipers. Of course they are the exact same caliper.../forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Rene

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Does this mean my half ton pads work on my 3/4 ton truck? or is this only in regards to like a 10 bolt with 8 lug outers, and not a later IFS model?

8. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I can't say on the IFS but yes the 10bolts are the same weather 6lug or 8.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I recall that, just a larger rotor (more torque).

I just checked autozone, looking for part numbers to see if they match- it seems like the k2500 in 88+ use a different front rotor than the 8lug of yester-years.

Strangely enough, the half ton IFS's also use a different brake pad than the SFA 10 bolts. (According to them anyways).

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I recall that, just a larger rotor (more torque).

I just checked autozone, looking for part numbers to see if they match- it seems like the k2500 in 88+ use a different front rotor than the 8lug of yester-years.

Strangely enough, the half ton IFS's also use a different brake pad than the SFA 10 bolts. (According to them anyways).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that rotor on the IFS is what I used for my rear disc brake conversion.
    It goes on the outside of the flange.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif