Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel treatment/octain booster/carb cleaner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Sep 25, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well im gonna try cleaning on the carb try to get a little better gas miliage... its a Old quadrajet but the motor isent bad I planed on spraying some carb clearner all though it and putting some octain booster or fuel treatment in the gas... what do yall think of this stuff? Ive never been a fan of additives but if it works I guess I could try it out, my major consern is that I DO NOT want to harm the engine in ANY way... were I work we have some marien fuel treatment that everyone at the store uses and likes but I just wanted to see what yall think /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A total waste of money in my opinion. If you don't need the additional octane, why run octane booster? More octane doesn't clean better or anything. As to fuel treatment...that stuff is already in your gas. You don't need to add any more.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i have some carburetor pre-tune up cleaner...you can suck it up through the pcv tube into the intake and it cleans the intake really well..also in the spray version of the same thing you can make a carb shine on the inside...what about ATF?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That stuff rules!!

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well I know the octain boost(it only raises your gas 1 octain) inent gonna do that much performance wise but I have heard of trucks running better after they ran it though 1 time.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would bet it was the owners imagination.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno but i sure would like to get more milage out of my truck! mine drinks gas like crazy...i thoguht taking the holley of and putting a quadrajet on it would help things out a tiny bit but there the same if not worse! i dont know what else to do.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Get yourself some ChemTool! Drop some in the tank and buy a spray can for the carb and choke linkage. Octaine booster is just a waste of money IMO.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

if you really really want octane boost, run some kerosene in your tank. don't laugh... read the MSD sheets off the bottle, thats all the octane boost are is kerosene.

get the "fuel system cleaner" from berryman b12 or hyperlube

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Top end Engine cleaner from the dealer. It will remove carbon from the valves and pistons. Removing the carbo on the valves will help intake flow. removing carbon from the pistons will help prevent pre ignition, ping, and run on problems.

Good tune up and verifying the carb is set correctly is going to do more for MPG then anything else. Meter the plug wires as well. Bad plug wire will function but not well and will cause a weak spark and not get full ignition when you want it.

What are you getting now and is your speedometer even acurate? I know mine is way off from regearing and tires size changes.

11. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get yourself some ChemTool! Drop some in the tank and buy a spray can for the carb and choke linkage. Octaine booster is just a waste of money IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

be careful dropping that stuff in the tank. I've done the crank case and sprayed in the carb (while running). I've also done a bottle in the tank, but I found that the chemtool loosened up the rust in the tank and what a mess that was. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Clogged the fuel filter and caused more problems then good.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like Lucas fuel treatment. It works real good in FId vehicles. Dont know how it works in carbed rigs though. Everything I have is FId

If your carb is old I suggust a new carb or a rebuild and a major tune up to improve performance/gas milage

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I usually dont use additives except for oil thickeners like LUCAS or MOTOR MEDIC in old smokey motors that guzzle oil--the best fuel system treatment we used to sell is CHEVRON TECHRON--it cleans better than all the other combined--but you can buy 6 gallons of gas with the same amount of money for a 12 oz.bottle of it--I'd make sure its really nessasary before spending the cash!.I get carbon out of the top end by pouring MARVEL MYSTERY OIL or plain old H2O down the carb very slowly,water doesnt smoke and it really works,turns to steam in the cylinders and lossens the carbon up--but its incompressible,so dont dump it in to fast--bad things will happen! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifWe have had real amazing results with the LUCAS products at my friends shop,their power steering and tranny treatment"fixed" a lot of customers tranny and power steering troubles,and the oil treatment quieted noisy valves on an Isuzu that even an adjustment didnt help--we were amazed that one of those "snake oils" actually worked very well! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

SO what youre sayin is to pour water into the carb while the engine is runnin?

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How are you figuring mileage first of all? These trucks drink gas in any case, but if you are trying to figure it off of the odometer, and you haven't made sure the speedometer is correct, your calculations are probably wrong.

How about the basic tune up stuff? Plugs and wires will make a huge difference if they are bad.

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

What you want to do is kinda dribble the water down the carb, NOT pour. Pouring would be BAD... Use a brick, block of wood, clamp, whatever... to get the engine turning about 1500rpm. VERY SLOWLY, dribble about a cup (I used half a Solo cup when I did it this way) of water down the carb/throttle body. Listen carefully to the motor; it will bog a little, that's OK. If it really starts to stumble and choke (hard to describe, but you'll know it if it happens) STOP POURING and let it recover. You don't want to drown the motor like this...
    I highly recommend an oil change after this procedure, to get rid of any water or carbon contamination in the oil.
    FWIW, I don't use water or ATF for this anymore, I use a product called "Sea Foam". I get it at my local NAPA, and the can has good directions for this use and others on it.

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea my truck probobly could use it..it sounds a little o nthe weak side..feels weaker to latly..and i here a weird ticking near the headers like its arching foro a bad wire but ive just beed replacing wires that "seem" bad with other ones in the garage /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif god im a cheap basterd /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif should probobly pull the plugs and have a looksey so