Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel/Water light

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by RacerHead, Jul 17, 2002.

1. RacerHead

RacerHead Registered Member

I am looking at buying a 82 Jimmy with a 6.2 in it. I don't know a thing about diesel. When you start the truck it has a fuel/water light(stays on)and has been on for 2 years now(its never gave him a problem) ? He said the fuel filters have been replaced every 3,000 miles along with a Oil change. There is no rust on it, it has a broke seat and needs a rear window motor window . He's asking 1600 for it, is that a good price ?

Thanks

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

How many miles on truck and engine?

3. RacerHead

130,000 Miles. what trannys do these have, it has OD ? this has never had problem with. what transfer-case ? it has auto-lock hubs, the first thing to go if i buy it.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

It is a 700r4 trans and np208 transfercase. Does it run good?

5. RacerHead

It smokes when it starts up and under a load, It starts right up when cold. I don't know how a Diesel should run far as performance. What else should I look for ? to me it runs strong

6. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I find it hard to believe that anyone would change both the fuel filters at every oil change and that was at every 3000 miles. The secondary filter is a royal PITA. He's probably lying, what else is he lying about?

On the other hand, $1600 doesn't sound like a bad price.

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Does it leak fluids, if so how bad, and from where? What color smoke does it blow on start up?

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I replace my fuel filters every oil change, the rear one is a pain in the a$$ but does not take long maybe 10 mins.

9. RacerHead

calcide- He has papers(dealership doing the work) showing that they have been replaced every 3,000 when they changed the oil. should it be changed that offen ?

cegusman It smokes black when you start it up for about 5 seconds. The power steering upper hose is leaking(accoring to him) and needs to be replaced before driving. No other leaks that i see.

10. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good deal, I would get it.

11. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Black smoke at start up could be the glow plugs, black smoke under load is common. Most diesel owners i've met are complusive excessives when it comes to maintence. Sounds like a good deal to me, you could always take it to a diesel shop and have them give it a look.

12. RacerHead

why is the fuel/water light coming on ? Is this something i should look into ?

13. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I change mine every 3000 miles! It's really not that hard, just got to put your head in the firewall! Change your CBR valve! IT's towards the front of the engine has three hoses coming off of it! One goes to the oil neck, the other two go to the air intake! Mine smokes when you just start it, it's really normal! IF it's a dark gray, that's cold diesel! IF it's dark black, that's oil, needs to warm up! Sounds like a good buy! The Light!!!!! What you have to do is buy a chilton's book and it gives you step by step instructions on how to drain your tank without droping it for a diesel! Mine has that light and I looked into it, lost the book, but might try and find it if you can't find a book that covers it! You have water buildup in your tank! You should drain it and your truck will get much better fuel milage and you won't rust anyhting out from the inside out, like lines since you don't know how long it's been sitting with water in the tank! You can try to check the wires running to the sensor in the tank first to see if there's a short, but what you're more than likely going to find is that it's the sensor! Draining it isn't very hard for what I can remember! All you have to do is disconnect one line and let the pump run! It says exactly how in the book, plus, it's good to have a book handy! OTher than that, it's sounds like a really good truck! You'll love the diesel!

14. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Well, the world's a twisted place, I guess. If he's got proof that the did all the maintenance, that's cool. I also suppose that if he had his fuel filters changed that often then the rest of the truck has been maintained well also.

The Haynes Diesel Engine Repair Manual tells how to drain the tank, and what it means when the light comes on. You can probably go to any parts store and find the manual and read that section for more info.