Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full 4 inch spring lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cheyenne_77, Nov 14, 2002.

1. cheyenne_77

cheyenne_77 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I am about to lift my 77blazer and am weighing my options on going a full 4 inch spring lift (if it can be done). Can anyone help me out on pros and cons of a full 4 inch spring lift? Any help would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Pros= reduced axle wrap in the back, stronger axle mounting.
    Cons= not as much flex, more expensive

If you off-road HARD, get the all spring, but if not, just use blocks.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You have lots of options for the rear. I really like Springer Suspension. You might also want to consitter a shackel flip,...ect.

4. cheyenne_77

Thank you, i am considering the most cost, durable efficient way available. Here in Australia i am not able to get any suspension components for the K5 easily. Any help is most appreciated.

5. cheyenne_77

If i decide on the full spring lift right round, i dare say the leaves will have to be added. I am not sure on the actual standard ride height of these rigs and have posted here previously but to no avail to find out. Do you know of anyone able to get these dimensions? All help. once again is appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

One thing to consider is if you buy a spring pack for the rear and it comes from a "pre-made" shop, like SuperLift, Rancho, etc... theas places make their spring packs by useing Pick-Up specifications/weight. The K5 rear is allot heavier than a PickUps. So if you use 4" in the front and 4" in the back, the rear of your K5 will sag/squat just a bit and in time sag even more. I used SuperLift 5 1/2" rear spring packs with my 4" Ranchos up front. With my hard top on my rig sits perfictlly level. With it off my rear does have a slight "stink bug" look, just a tiny bit. I actually like the rear being a bit higher it changes the view over the hood to my advantage when on the trail.
    Good luck Oh and I HATE blocks, too much axel wrap!!

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I went with the 4" kit that used front lifted leaf springs, rear blocks & u-bolts, a correct steering arm, shocks, and longer brake lines. You can search this site for parts as many people sell their 4" lifts fairly cheap in favor of the 6".

If I had to do it over again, I would have purchased the all spring lift. My rear springs sag by 2" and I do not want to run 6" blocks to compensate. I am going with either the tuff country 4" EZ-ride springs, or the BDS 4 springs. Tuff Counrty offers a nice ride, flex similar to stock springs, and the price isn't too bad. BDS has the same, but also offers a lifetime warranty, and are about $100 more. If you don't wheel hard or tow a lot, it's not worth it. Regardless, it still would have been much cheaper to go with the all spring lift from the start. Also, if you tow frequently, do not use the shackle flip. There are folks here that have used the shackle flip and still tow with their rigs and have had no problems. I have been told/warned against it by the manufacturers of the shackle flip. Ultimately, you will have to make the decision on what you want and how it fits into your needs. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. cheyenne_77

Thank you all for shedding light on this subject. I my self have 2 X 50 litre gas tanks under the rear and have to account for their weight. (LPG) Do you know of any retailers there supplying parts that do ship on a frequent basis abroad to say Australia? Trying to get some contacts. Thanx again

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Rough Country sells a 4" all spring lift kit with shocks for $495. You will need to call for shipping prices to Australia. Go see them at www.roughcountry.com

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would check first with ARB in Australia.
    They make a lot of lifts and Lockers that we get all the way from there, so check with them first, they might even make you springs for less than what it would cost you to get them shipped from here.

11. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

I just put a Rough Country 4 spring 4" lift on my Blazer last week. I like it alot! It came with 4 springs, all u-bolts, 4 shocks and a steering arm. I paid $530 shipped for it. Its a good cheap kit, the only thing bad is that mine came with no instructions at all and I had to buy all new shock and leaf spring bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. cheyenne_77

Thank you for posting, i suppose that the springs came with new bushes? Can you please see if the place of purchase does ship to Aus and is there any other place where they might do a better deal as i also have the australian dollar conversion to consider.

13. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Tuff Counrty offers a nice ride, flex similar to stock springs, and the price isn't too bad. BDS has the same, but also offers a lifetime warranty, and are about $100 more.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The Tuff Country springs also have a lifetime warrenty. I didn't know it until I bought them, but it was included with the pamphlet that came with the springs.