Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full Auto AR15?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Glock Girl, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Glock Girl

Glock Girl Registered Member

I just came across a super deal on a AR15 from one of my friends. The only problem is the guy he bought it from is a Class III holder and modified it to use M16 parts (burst) When the Class III guy sold it to my friend he removed the auto parts and reinstalled the legal AR15 parts. The reciever now has been permanantly changed by grinding/drilling. Is the reciever by itself illegal in this form. If it were anyone else I would not bother but I trust my friend and he is giving me a good deal. It would not be to my advantage money wise to buy another reciever and swap out the parts.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

That has illegal written all over it. I would avoid it like the plague...It has the "go-fast" receiver which, where I live, you have to be a class III permit holder to own. And at the public shooting range I sometimes go to I have been harassed by the DNR, they are not afraid to detain you while inspecting your weapons. They could get you for manufacturing an assault weapon too, if its a post ban gun...I put the pre ban pistol grips and stock on a post ban yougoslav .308 I had, and they was enough to get it confinscated. I never took that thing in public...

I would pass...
    Brent

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yep, not to many loop-holes in the law about this stuff.. if it went Class III at some point, there is prolly no turning back. Hell, the ATF prolly wouldnt care if you re-machined the receiver so that you COULDNT make it 3-round-burst again... still be considered class III to those bozos. Prolly a good idea to steer clear of this one. I definitely know how ya feel when a good deal on a AR15 comes up... ya wanna jump on it cause they ain't cheap.

I have a preban CAR15 myself, and its good times. If there is one thing i learned in the marines, its that full auto may be fun, but well aimed semi-auto is whats really effective.

J

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Shelby...do not walk, run away from this gun. If you are not a C3 holder, it is illegal even with original parts. It's the fact that it has been modified to accept components rendering it fully automatic that makes it illegal for the average Joe...

5. Glock Girl

I talked to my friends buddy (the class III holder) he is going to trade me a uncut reciever for the one that my friend had. I am having my friend bring it to him so as not bring any problems to myself. I think I got a pretty good deal. 400 bones for a immitation M4. Now all I have to do is talk myself out of the M203 he is trying to sell me..lol

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

quit calling yourself glock girl and pick up a 1911!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif plastic is for kids

7. jekbrown

1911s were good for the 20th century, now theres something better. Glock Perfection baby. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif !!

J

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Was it legal in the first place. I was doing research at one point and found that even if you are class 3 or have the tax stamp for a full auto you usually need to get approval from the ATF and local authorites(i think) to make any modifications to a gun to make it class 3. Not positive on that, but it is a real PITA to figure out. Can always go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ar15.com>http://www.ar15.com</a> and look on their forums for info

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

then that must be why the FBI HRT teams use 1911s and why the LAPD SWAT use 1911s and why it served this country from 1911-1985 only being replaced because the US needed to use the NATO round?im just poking fun there is one thing that iv learned about people and guns is that its probablly easier to convert someones religon that change a calibre or make someone likes./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. Glock Girl

I have no problems with 1911's I have one....dissassembled in a shoebox somewhere. It needs a little tlc. I just keep forgetting about her. Maybe when I see one of those "rebuild your 1911 parts grab bags" again I'll spring the cash. Untill then i'll be happy with my "kids toys" lol

"1911 Girl" just dosent have the right ring for me either

11. jekbrown

the 1911 our force recon buddies had when I was doing hostage rescue in the Marines were super-tricked out multi thousand dollar guns. A sig or glock is actually a good gun right out of the box. No need to add a bazillion dollars worth of parts/mods to it, just add ammo and go. If you want a big bullet, get a Glock in 10mm... in many respects its a meaner cartridge than the slow-ish .45acp. Whats more, with prebans you have 15 rounds of it. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

12. jekbrown

oh, and BTW... I have no religous following to any gun. If someone in 25 years (let alone 100) comes out with something better... I'd get it. Personally, at this point in time, I think the Glock and Sig are the best factory handguns in the world (carry/combat autos here, not bear hunting .454s etc).. thats why I have one.

BTW, that thing about changing to the Berreta 9mm was a totally bogus situation... ya know Sig actually made a LOWER per-gun-price offer than Beretta? There is NO doubt in my mind that the Sig is a superior gun. Of course... the italians let us build an air base....

J

13. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status