Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full cage for 70 Jimmy.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmy70, Mar 16, 2003.

1. jimmy70

jimmy70 Newbie

Looking for a pre-made full rollcage that just needs welded together and installed. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Smittybilt.....

I have a picture of one of their 6-point cages installed in my truck if you check my gallery pics.

They're nothing fancy, and you DO have to weld the front arms to the rear 4-point...but they are pretty inexpensive.

BTW -> I heard a rumor that they might not be making cages for the full-size trucks anymore....maybe you can let us know if you are able to actually purchase one? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Check my pictures as well. I have the Smittybuilt "bolt together" rear 4 point, with their weld in front hoop kit. I not only welded the rear portion but added some more cross bars and seat mounts to their pre fabbed stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

It wouldn't surprise me if they're not making them any more. I have a Smittybuilt hoop and legs and am less than thrilled with it. This is my second hoop as the first one I had shipped was too tall by far (I assumed the shipped the wrong one). The second bar I got is not tall enough. In order to get the legs to fit in I had to raise it about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch from the floor. Still, the legs kind of have a downward angle on them where they enter the hoop. I cancelled my order on the front legs after they were backordered for over 3 months.

Lots of people have good things to say about them, so I may have had an atypical experience.

I heard Smittybuilt was sold a while ago, my bar is about a year and a half old - I wonder if that has anything to do with the chanegs or my quality problems.

I like the look of the S&W race cages online and had a chance to see one in Mudzer's second gen Blazer. Not a bolt in by any means, but he had nothing but good things to say about the fabrication.

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

My weld in kit for the front of the smittybilt was too long as well, however I just trimmed it down and welded it in.

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

My problem was with the main hoop/rear legs - I wasn't able to cut the rear legs and keep the mounting plate that was on them so I compromised by raising the hoop. It may have been better if all the pieces were supplied a little long and you cut to length and added the feet - of course then it wouldn't have been a bolt in.

In retrospect I would have been better off with my first hoop that was too tall - the feet could have been cut down to match my rear legs. Like I said, it may have been just the particular combination of bars I got.

7. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Yeah that is weird you would think they would all be the same. Who knows. I am actually going to redo my front again I think anyway with some cross braces up top and some "oh sh!t" handles.

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

check out this site, they build roll bars and stuff. Roll bar site I think they can custom make roll bars for about anything. I got my 10 point cage for my Camaro from them and it is nice.

John

9. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I just checked out the smittybilt website. I found the roll bar that interests me, and I am going to look into it. I do have the factory original roll bar (hoop) right now. I will probably end up selling that. The fact that it is factory original and rare, I should get a decent price for it. The smittybilt website says I have a dealer that is about 20 minutes away from where I live. I guess tonight I will call them up (after school) and see it it is still available. I will let ya know what I find out. The roll bar I am looking to buy is part # BL409 iof anyone cares for that #....

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I want the factory roll bar if it is not spoken for yet if the price is right..... Please Please Please....

John

11. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW -> I heard a rumor that they might not be making cages for the full-size trucks anymore....maybe you can let us know if you are able to actually purchase one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I went to the website, and checked the nearest Smittybilt dealer near where I live. There was one 20 minutes away, so I called em, and the quoted me $269 for the roll bar. After I found out they were a NAPA, I went to the NAPA in my hometown, and asked them about the same product. They said they are not a dealer for Smittybilt, but the CAN freight it in. They told me it'd be $210, so I did order it from them, needless to say. so yes, I did buy from the local NAPA... once again, the Smitty part # is GL409.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Cool.....

Be sure to post pics when you receive it!

13. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

OK, I will try, but that is where I have trouble. I have digicam, and know how to use it. I can post them onto webshots very easily. but I don't have the slightest idea on how to post the whole pic right on the screen here... I know I have to use code, can I use the code from the webshots location? or do I have to make my own website? If so, I have no idea on how to make websites... I have a friend that does, so maybe I will ask for a crash course in that.

14. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

ooops, didnt realize until now, that the poster of this topic wanted a "full roll cage" I just ordered the bar... Sorry for my mistake /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif mybad.

15. drchan

drchan Registered Member

is it not possilble to use your stock roll bar and add the front part of the cage to make a full cage. i guess the question is, is the stock roll bar suitable tubing to weld to? i plan on getting a cage but if i can use the stock roll bar will save me a little money. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif