Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full circle clips on D60 knuckle joints?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, May 19, 2003.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, who has done this? MJ has gotten me seriously considering the possibility of using full circle clips rather than welding. Anyone have pics of the mod? Details on the best way to modify them? Looks like it may not be as much trouble as I at first thought (or rather didn't think at all).

How about part numbers (dimensions?) on the required clips (yeah, I could get out the calipers, but they are already together)? How about a source?

2. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

You know, I just installed a D60 about a month ago and thought seriously about doing that mod then. I still have only the 30sp stubs but I'm sure it would be worth the effort. I ran an OEM set of shafts in a D44 with full circle snap rings and had excellent luck. I modified the D44 shafts with a hand grinder and a real large grinding wheel. I ground it back just until the snap ring sat level. The D60 shafts couldn't be much different.

Now I need to pull the D60 shafts back out and do it!!

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a friend in Memphis that was plagued with axle joint breakage in his (35 spline in/out) D60. He was using all new Dana axles and joints every time he fixed it but the problem was still there. After he started modifying them for the full circle snap rings the breakage almost went away completely.

This guy could break an anvil with a paperclip, the full circle clips made a huge difference for him so I'm a believer and plan on doing it to mine.

4. BadDog

Ok, BigDaddy used a grinder (guessing a 7-9" angle grinder?), what did your friend use? I'm thinking I may just put a new (square edge) 1/4 wheel on my 4.5" grinder and use that to cut back the milled area. Or maybe a cutting wheel might be better, less side abraisive to damage the seating area. Either way finish with a dremel? Too bad I don't have a mill with a splining/cutting head (sorta like a cutting wheel, whatever it's really called)

** Still looking for a source on the clips too... I wonder if the more serious 4x4 shops locally might know or carry them? May call today...

5. nvrenuf

My buddy has access to a machine shop where he works so he had it done there. He's a member on Pirate (user = Dan Dibble), you might want to PM him as I'm sure he would probably still have the clip info too (he's now graduated to a buggy with 2 1/2 tons).

I would think the square edge wheel on your grinder would do the job.

6. BadDog

Oh, I know (of) Dan, been watching his build posts, nice buggy. I'll shoot him a PM. Thanks...

7. nvrenuf

Yeah, Dan's a great guy and has a lot of GOOD info. I can't wait to see his buggy when it's done, I'm going to make him bring it down hee and cover it (and himself) in mud! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif