Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full circle clips on ujoints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by michaelm, Sep 24, 2001.

1. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i am changing wheel joints.
    anyone have an opinion whether filing the yokes to accept full circle snap rings is a good or poor idea.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I saw that done in a magazine article a while back...they claimed it helped prevent failure. It seems to be a subjective modification though. The theory behind it sounded good in the article if that helps...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was told by a reputable drive shaft shop in AZ that full circle snap rings are not necessary. I was going to use them in my truck but he told me it was a waste of time.

4. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Well Moser and Warn have them on there Chrome-moly shafts so they must be there for a reason. I run the Warn shafts and aslo "fixed" my spare shafts to except the full external snap rings as well. Size= 1 3/16" external snap rings

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Bad idea. Use a grinder instead, file will take forever. LOL

Pat Gremillion ran one joint with one w/o snap ring for a while in his EB Dana 44. I think he broke the one side 2 or 3 times, but the side with the snap ring survived.
    He's running 60 front now though.

Poundin' the ol "pavment"!

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I run warn axels with the normal clips the ends pop out of the caps befor the clips come off

7. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I modified mine with a Dremel tool and put in the full snap rings AFTER pushing out a c clip retainer and blowing a ujoint which in turn took out the axle ears of both stub and inner shaft.

Its not a waste, it works.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

8. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

I did it. I thought it would work great. I went out wheelin, and I Broke the outer stub that I just modified. I think I weakens the part when you have to take off the metal to put the full circle ring in. I warn long shaft I have survived that ujoint explosion without a scratch.

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

My axles are "fixed" this way as well. Used a 4" grinder to remove the extra casting. Bigdaddyof2 did his as well.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I lost 2 clips this weekend when I was out wheelin but the cups didnt come out.I noticed when inspecting my truck the day after I went.I think the full circle snaprings are a great idea.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What and where are you grinding to install full circle clips?
    And what kind of clips? Like the ones on the end of the caps on a driveshaft U-joint?

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

12. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

No, like the ones on the ends of your stub shafts. Full circle external snap rings.

You have to grind around the back of the joint on the yoke. You grind it flush with the surface where the c-clips

13. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Warn and Moser run them just to be cool, at least when the axles are new. When everything is new it all fits together nice and you don't have problems, as they get stretched, you need the snaprings. This applies more to the factory shafts since the weaker material stretches more and loosens it's grip on the cap. BUT, I've got a buddy that ran the warns in a jeep with 37's and eventually the caps dropped in by hand.
    We have one customer that full circled a stock shaft and it go so bad that he was routinely breaking cups from having too much play in the yoke, but never lost a joint because he had the full rings.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

15. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Robbie, the snap rings work with the regular u-joints.

Stephen, what would be the point of not running the snap rings? In my experience, it gets really hard to remove the c-clips as they get older.

Also, the customer you mention, d you mean to say that he never broke another joint after installing the snap rings?

16. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

When I snapped the axle u-joint @ the Spring K5 Thing, it was evident that the c-clip had fallen out which allowed the cup to "walk" out of the axle flange. The damage occured when the cross shaft ripped through the side of the cup. I am confident that installing the snap rings (even on stock axle shafts) is not a waste of time.

thebigdaddyof2