Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full conver't conversion kit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Apr 20, 2001.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

full conver\'t conversion kit?

heres the deal, ive got about 17k in my blazer now and i got kind of bored of it and wanted to build a full convertable 69-72 or73-5 but the problem was i could only find 2 kinds of those blazers, ones that were rusted out or ones that were going to be. they finally pulled their heads out in 1989 and started galvanising the bodies, so i would like to stay w/what i got and make it conver't. is teir any way to do this professionally and maybe use the 73-75 tops? i think ive seen a kit somewhere that came w/caps and some cutting templates or something.

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: full conver\'t conversion kit?

<font color=blue>The conversion is cheap, about $100. Its called a sawzall! [​IMG] Grab the hardtop and windsheild frame from a 73-75 and get cutting.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i dont care if i have to rent the jaws of life, i just want some accurate mesurements

4. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

I've got a line on a 74 that is complete w/top and windshield frame, I think the guy is asking about $400 for everything. Most of the rig is a heap, but there is enough left to part out. e-mail me if you're serious . I don't live far from where you're at. Iceman

5. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

how much do you want for the frame and top? are they nice cond? let me check w/the my welding/fab shop mon., if i can do this whole thing for $500 or less ill take 'em. will i have to buy 73-75 doors or can i cut mine? anybody interested in a k-line fast track possibly for sale?

6. Bigol79Blazer

Bigol79Blazer Newbie

one of my friends took a sawzall to his top on his 77 and used the top and doors off a 74 . it works pretty good considering it was all done back yard style. now im half tempted to do the same thing to my 79.

7. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

hey, ill help you if we do yours first, and ill suppy all the beer but maybe we should do the truck before we drink! tried pinstriping half twisted once--not a good idea! but hey is your freinds truck in co. id like to see how he did it--thx j.c.

8. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

1990k5 - I am interested in the kayline top. I have been searching everywhere for one. What color is it?

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/>http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/</A>

9. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

it is black and it is only 5mons. old

10. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

hey man, i just cut the top on my 76 and making a full convertible, look at project money pit under project vehicles, if you study everything u'll see it isn't too hard to do. i just took a sawzall to it and its fine, i just need to weld patches over the cuts. I dont think i can get a hard top but im goin to get a custom rag top.

email me at shupach@swbell.net
    if you need help, i've been talkin to money pit for help, he'll be happy to answer your questions too

phill

11. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

I just might swap you for that soft top. Iceman

12. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

What are you looking to get for the Kayline??

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If you do convert a later tub(76 and newer) you should renforce the body. The earlier bodies had xtra supports under them. I just got a tub that was converted. It's a 87 back half with a 75 firewall and windsheld frame sectioned in. I cut later doors to fit. We also had to "finish" the top of the quarters. I am having a roll cage installed so I don't have to worry about body flex. When I had the body off the frame, you couldn't open doors. flexed! [​IMG]

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

14. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

I am definitely interested in soft top. Will it fit a '90? How much do you want for it?
    -Tim

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Why don't one of you guys do a tech article on "how to do this right"?

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

16. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

with summer approaching i have been seeing more and more posts asking about convertible conversions. there is no 'kit' for this that im aware of, but you can certainly get all the parts necessary for the job. if you can weld or have a friend that does, this can be relatively 'wallet friendly'.
    there are some pics available, just click the link below. as mentioned earlier you MUST reinforce the body to prevent sagging.
    if you want to use the 73-75 fiberglass top you are going to have to graft in a windshield frame from a 73-75 donor k5 or jimmy. the best way to handle the doors is to cut your own to fit the caps, available from lmc truck. they are rubber and plastic pieces that screw into the openings.
    i was more concerned with wieght loss so i chose to go with a pick up tailgate and the factory replacement softop, which is available from kayline manufacturing. i ordered mine from turner 4wd in georgia. 1800.THEJEEP.
    good luck,
    MTPockets

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml</A>

17. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

will the full cage work for the body reinforcement? i was going to weld the windsheild frame to the roll cage. if i cut my doors and use the cap kit will the windows stay inplace when up?

18. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

the top is on a 1990 right now--when i bought it most places were between $650-700, i bought mine for$560 (still have paperwork), would sell for $450. i havent advertised it yet on the for sale page cause i just decide to do this lastnight, let me know if your interested or not so i can advertise it tommarow, thx-j.c. 303-948-3529

19. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

If it is a fast trac that will fit a '90, and is black, then you can consider it sold :). I'm assuming it is in great shape? Do you know how much shipping would be? I am located in Mass. If you want me to call you tomorrow or so for details and such, let me know. My email is papetk@clarkson.edu I appreciate your response, and hope it is still available, I have been searching up and down for one of these.

-Tim

20. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

yes its for a 1990 and it is black and it is in excellent condition. didn't really want to ship but give me a call tommarow evening around 6or 7pm mountain time thx-j.c. 303-948-3529