Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full Convert. Conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seattlek5, Jul 24, 2001.

1. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I'm getting the parts to do a full convertable conversion to my '79 and found a top on a '75 in a junkyard while getting a trans for a F*** Ranger I'll be selling. When I asked the guy in the office how much he said $75. I'm stoked, so I go out and pull it off. It's in awesome shape other than the seals. I hack the windshield frame off and throw it on the top and Jim and I wheel it to the front gate with a couple of wheelbarrows (what a pain in the a$$.) When I go inside, there is another guy at the counter and I tell him what I got. He says "That'll be $26.61 for the canopy. Needless to say, we paid him and quickly threw the top in the Ryder. How cool is that? Oh yeah, I also got a York 210 compressor for $20 off a Volvo. They also had a '80 2wd diesel in the holding area that I'm waiting to rip into. It's great to find a yard that has no idea of the value of their parts.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think you could have just hacked the 75 windshield frame 4 or 5" from the top and just cut yours off at the same spot and welded on, I believe thats what bigd did to his.

If I do mine, I'm just going to cut it off and slap a soft top on, you only need the 75 frame if you plan on using a hard top.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

Dude Where is this yard at im in ellensburg but would drive anywhere in washington t oa good yard

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

4. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Steve - Yeah, I just wanted to get as much material to work with, but that's what I was thinking. The wife wants the hard top for winter runs. I want a cage, half-doors, and bikini and or soft-top for all the time (it's not a daily driver)

Bandit - there's two of them in Lynnwood and I think there's another in Tacoma. I'll be there often, let me know what your looking for and I'll keep and eye out for ya.

5. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

WHere extly do you live over there i have brother in belvuee (sp) and sister in Brier (jsut outside of lynnwood) and another sister in north bend

AJ
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

6. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

not looking for anything right off the bat well other then a d60 just like to know of good yards so hwen i am look BTP i ahve 74 blazer a 75 if you need anything else jsut give me PM

AJ
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

7. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I'm in Lynnwood, just off of Hwy 99 kinda by Cycle Barn and Bent Bike. I may be looking for some off the misc. top hardware when I start the conversion.

8. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Hey man just so ya know, That 80 Diesel whould have the old 350 diesel, (6.2's diden't come around till 81)If it still runs you can do some things to it to keep it from blowing up, But it really isen't a great engine anyway.
    And also BTW I live in the Bothell / Kenmore area,Up by the end of Lake Washington, (One side of the street is Kenmore the other is Bothell, And the border is right in the middle of the street [​IMG].)

[​IMG]Inline 6's are cool[​IMG]

9. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i cut mine halfway down the pilliar, you really need the frame for the soft top too, or, you will have a big gaping hole!

10. CK5

90K5 - Did you get your cage finished yet?

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

11. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i pick it up at 1:00 this afternoon, the whole cage was complete then he realized the glovebox would'nt open all the way so had to unbolt the whole thing, hoist it out (thank god for full conve'rt), rebend that leg and reinstall it. it should of taken 2 days and now he's had it since last tues. meanwhile ive been driving my girlfreinds lifted yj w/ every dork in a jeep waving at me----I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!! I WANT MY K5 BACK!!! ill let you know how it looks. thx--j.c.

12. CK5

Cool, let me know, I would like to swing by and check it out.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Haha yeah we did a lot of playing with my cage to get it to clear the glove box door. My truck also has manual windows so we had to have the clearence so you wouldn't bust your knuckles on the cage rolling up the window. I ended upw ith about 1/8 inch of clearence as the glove box door opens. That's with a 2 inch dia bar
    I backed my cage off the dash some so I should be able to get the dash pad off if I ever need to service the cluster or change the bulbs.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper