Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full convertable top conversion questions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 24, 2000.

I have an 82K5,i want to make it a full top off Blazer!!
    Any one done this before?I know the 73-75 trucks were like this.How hard is a top to find?Do they make a replacement top fore these year Blazers?
    I know that there are several soft tops avlable,but would also like to have a soft top for the winter(live in ohio).
    Any ideas? Thanks.

1. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Probably the easiest and cheapest way to do it is to just sell your truck and get a '69-'75 Blazer. You should be able to find one for much cheaper than you sell your '82 for if it's in good condition.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you look in the project vehicles section there is pictures of the conversion. New tops are not available but you can find tops in the junk yards. I don't know where you are because you didn't fill out you bio completly but I know where a 75 is with a good top and the windsheild header in GA. The rest of the truck is shot including the door (I got the one ok door on my 75). Now when looking for the tops you want to find a late 74 or a 75. The early tops had a designe flaw and were prone to cracking. You want the top that the seams over lap where they parts are joined. The other alternative is to go with a soft top and those are available and start at $450.
    As for converting your truck. Your cutting out a major part of the body stucture and this will weaken the body. The 73-75 had a boxed floor to make up for the lack of roof and you cannot add that to the newer body because of a floor change in 78. You have to strengthen the suport for the fire wall in some way. The easiest and best way would be to have a full roll cage built that ties into the header and the kick pannels and the door frame near the door latch. If done correctly this will be as strong if not stronger than the original hard top.
    One last alternative is to go with the Bummer body if you want to go topless. See the August issue of FourWheeler where they just converted an 82. Comes out looking like a hummer but the body was designed to be topless from the get go and in reality if you having to pay a body shop to convert your truck it may be with in finacial reason to swap the whole body.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. I looked every where around here for a 68-75 can't find one!!Realy!
    I'm going to go with a full cage anyhow grim,would love to do a fiberglass tub but its just not in my budget.But have some friends with body shops though.
    I think the bummer would be kind of cool but i prefer the looks of the blazer,bummer looks like a jeep on steroids!
    But anyway thanks for the reply.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

You might want to try for one out of state. I see them for sale all the time here in California. I bought mine in Virginia and saw quite a few there too.

5. I looked at the trader on line sight,could'nt find one in any state there!!If any one has any ideas on finding one let me know.
    Thanks

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

7. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I just did this too my 76 about two months ago.It was very easy and all i used was a cut off wheel and a small wire feed welder.I found a 74 in a scrap yard and cut the frame off of it.Cut the roof and part of the window pillar then welded the other part too it.Can't tell i even did it except for the bed tops that i haven't sheet metaled yet.I would put a roll cage in it for sure.Even the 73-75 blazers bracing or not flex alot too.If your not scared of a lot of strange looks and sparks then go for it.Remember bob vila mearure twice cut once.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Grim is that body still for sale? Do you know how much it is going for? This sounds like a fun idea. I like the look of yours, full topless is very appealing. If the price is right.... Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

9. Grim-Reaper

Well JBear you wouldn't want the whole body but as far as I know it's still up here in Cartersville. I need to pull a tail light this weekend and will be hitting this yard. I see what the guy wants for the top and windshield frame.

Grim-Reaper

10. Hey BIGB,do you have any pics of the process?
    How far down did you cut the windshield frame?
    Thanks.

11. bigjbear

Thanks Grim. If you decide to get anything bigger and need a hand let me know, I'm not working this weekend. BTW how much is he getting for tail lites? I cracked my left one when I laid it on its side. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

12. James

James 1/2 ton status

So far real tuff to find one in descent shape. I have a 73 full convt and top is cracking which is real common for this year. Been looking for one in good shape for the past year no luck so far. And this is in southern cal. Large population here you would think they would be easier to locate? Good luck

13. Grim-Reaper

Big J. If you need just the lens hit Pep Boys. They have a replacement lens for $19. I busted the reflector so I need the lens and reflector. Pep Boys said they could order it for $43. Both those are the lenses with the SS bezel. The dealer said they could get me a NEW GM reflector for about $20 but they wanted about $30 for the Lens with the Bezel and $16 for the lens without the bezel. Mail me back if you need the reflector or just the lens. I'll grab them at the yard while I'm there if they have one that is good. I'm really just going for the reflector because I'm sure I can get that for $5. Not expecting to find any good clear lenses but you never know.

Grim-Reaper

14. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i think its a great idea, check out project vehicles "money pit". you can see the process i went through to get where you want to be, topless.
    my rig will never be able to run a hard top, but the softtop is awesome in the winter. the first step is to get the door cap kit and cut the doors. then youll know where to cut the roof, capping that will require metal work. unless you graft on a windshield frame from a 73-75 blazer. then you could possibly use the hard top. running a softtop will let you toss the window tailgate and save about 400 lbs(including the original roof).
    good luck!
    MTPockets.

15. Hey MTPockets,where did you get the door kit?
    Thanks for the enfo every one!!!
    Nice truck(money pit).

16. bigjbear

Grim, I just need the lens. If you find one great, if not that sounds like a good deal for a new one. If you do see a L/H one for $5 pick it up and I will pay you at the meeting next week. Happy hunting, Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

17. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

LMC truck has the door caps.
    as was pointed out on an earlier post you MUST rienforce the floor. my cage took care of that problem, but if i may suggest tying the cage into the header as well as the b-pillar of the body. my truck is pretty flexy and i may need to take my own suggestion to prevent the body from sagging in on the doors.
    good luck!
    MTPockets.

18. Grim-Reaper

BigJ:
    Called the 2 junk yards this morning (sat) to make sure they were open and got no answer at either of them. I asume they were both closed so didn't go. Also your real close to the old Griffins on 92 (from 120 go north it will be on the left) and they had a couple of the old bodies at one time with hard tops. I know the buisness is for sale and not sure they are still open at that location. They had a bunch of GM's. Griffins had some family fued going and though they are both Griffins neither yard admits the other exists LOL. I will have to pass the junk yards I was planning on hitting late this week so I still plan on stopping. If they got a good lens I'll grab it if it's cheap.
    I have decided to get new lens and put them on the wifes 79 and take her lens for the 75 so I'm down to looking for just the reflector. Unfortunalty her left lens is already cracked about the same way as yours.

Grim-Reaper

19. Thanks for all the replies.Happy trails!!!