Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full convertiable conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Aug 28, 2001.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

Is there a kit offered for this? Or is one supposed to start hacking with a sawzall? Also, is it possible to put a first gen hardtop on after the conversion is done? Just curious, I know many of you have done this. Thanks, Tom

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Many people have done this. There is no kit that I'm aware of. Basically you need a 73-75 top (the first generation Blazer is 69-72 and won't fit). To mount the top to the windshield frame you can either graft on the frame from a 73-75 or modify the existing windshield frame. You'll need to cut the door frames off at the correct angle also. Not a hard project but it takes a little time and patience.

Almost forgot, you'll need to reinforce the cab by either underneath the floor or preferably with a full rollcage. If you don't then the windshield frame will sag inward and your doors won't close. Do a search and look for GrimReaper's reply to another post about how to do this.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rampage on 08/28/01 04:45 PM.</FONT></P>

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

No kit just start hacking (after much measuring of corse). You will have to use a hard top off of a 2nd gen (73-75?), you will also have to use the windshield frame. There are a few people on this sight that have done it. If you use a soft top rather than a hard top you would not have to change your winshield frame.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

By the way, kmbonomo has a hard top that he is taking to the dump (if he hasn't already done so). You might want to PM him. He's in Michigan and the price is good too ... free!

5. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Since this being asked again, i also have a question. [​IMG] Does anyone have any pictures of the reinforcement done to the cab underneath or where every it is supposed to be done???

Check out my pictures:
    http://www.geocities.com/jmargtx/index.html

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Check out GrimReaper's site. I think he has pics of how he replaced/fabricated supports on his Dollar truck.