Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full convertible conversion...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Aug 28, 2006.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

has anyone here done the full convertible conversion (shown in the tech portion of the sire) to thier blazer. i have an 83 with a nearly rusted out roof. it came with everything i need to make it a full convertible... wondering if its a good idea or not.

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I haven't done one, but if I remember correctly you need to brace the body under the floor pans or rocker panels or something.

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Shoot Sapper a pm, he has a 90ish that he did the full convert.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you need to add extra support to the body to compensate for the loss of the roof, if you balzer is really rusty though repair the floor and rockers first becsaue if you cut the top off you could trash your body if it is not strong enough

5. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

click the link in my sig to see my rig, i cut the roof off but i did not weld in the 73-75 windshield post. mine is going to have a custom soft top that will snap onto my frame. it is not finished yet i only made rough cuts so far. as far as bracing it will be needed, i replaced the entire floor with 1/8" diamond plate and 2"x2" subframe and it supports the entire body but i am still going to tie the sides behind the door into a full rollcage for more support.