Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FUll Convertible top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sinchphoto, Dec 24, 2001.

1. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine is cleaning up his garage and handing over a full top with the cab attachment. All i would have to do i cut my doors & cab to throw it on. Whos done this before and how difficult is it?

2. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Registered Member

I'm not quite shure what you mean but If the convertible top was one to fit an early Blazer whear the whole roof comes off and your Blazer the hard top comes off behind the two front seats than ya you just need to break out the sawsall and cut away you may need to weld on some mounting plates or brakets. Ive never done or herd of this before but with enough money you can do any thing. If or when you start to under take this project post picks and tell us how it comes out.

3. sinchphoto

I have a halftop on my blazer right now. The one handed to me is a full top. I have the necessary bracketry to install, but I've never cut a roof before. I wanted to know if theres something like a stencil or template to help guide the cut. Theres always a first time for everthing. Im still thinking about it, if I dont decide to do it then I'll just put it up for sale.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The best way to do this is after some research. I would find a rusty full convertable that is being parted out and sawzall the upper windsheild frame off then graft that onto your truck after some careful measuring.
    Another thing to consider is that the full convertable trucks had rocker boxes underneath for better body support...something the half top truck didn't have. You'll have to find a way to make the body itself rigid enough. A 6 point cage will help...

The doors will also have to be cut and modified...again some rusty dented 73,4,5 doors can be used as a template to cut your doors down. You'll also need to order some seals from LMC for the top and around the door glass etc etc.

There is no 'easy' way to do a mod like this, it needs to be researched, planned, and done over enough time so that it is not a rushed job. It is worth it if you like the full convertable look. I have a spare full convertable top and will be doing this conversion to my 81 some time in the new year...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

would you want to sell the top I to live in cal and If the top is in good shape It would be worth it to me thanks..

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is a lot more involved that just cutting the top. To make that hard top work you need the windsheild header from a 73-75. You need to reinforce the body. If you just cut the truck will start to fold and the doors will not line up. It can be done but plan on a full cage with it tied into the windsheild header and B Pillar.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

It can be done. I won't say it's easy. It would be better if you had a doner truck. My truck is an 87 with a 73 firewall/windsheild grafted on. I have a full rollcage installed. The top of the rear quarters had to be rolled over., there is a channel on the top of the windsheild that the top fits into. I don't have any pics of the body being grafted, but I have pics that show cage and some other stuff. I attached a link to my homespace. you can look at all the pics there. anything marked 73 or cage are what you may wnt to see.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/hstelman/>http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/hstelman/</a>

you're right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

8. sinchphoto

i allready have the windshield header from the truck it came off of. also i think i might be able to come across the doors from a 73 wich would be sweet. I like that look of having the full top off with the roll cage. but were talking some cash here and currently Id like to build an engine. so well see what happens.