Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full convertible

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cooter sc, Feb 14, 2002.

1. cooter sc

cooter sc Newbie

I have a 88 fullsize blazer and wanted to have the full convertible like the 73-75 models. I have all of the tooling to cut the metal top off but I dont know if the full soft top you can by for the 73-75 can be custom made to fit my application. Has anybody done this and if so, tell me what's involved.

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I'm not positive about the top thing, but it could probably be done. The catch is that your body is not designed to be rigid enough to last very long without the factory steel in place. I love my topless rig so I wouldn't want to discourage you from cutting the roof , but you will need a good quality roll cage to reinforce the body, and hold it straight not to mention protect you incase of a rollover. I know someone that wheels with the rear part of the roof off on a 79, and his body is cracking from the lack of support. Probably the extreeme wheeling is a contributing factor. A well designed and installed roll cage would help prevent your body from falling apart at the seams. Get a tape measure and check someone with an old school rig like mine then compare the measurements with your rig. BTW have you priced soft tops? Ouch their pricey.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you may want to look up BAJA_BLAZER. he did his, i saw it and it looks good.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

4. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Check the member's rides gallery, there are a few people that have done that. And you forgot about us '69-'72 guys, we're topless too! You will definately want to reinforce your body, and frame, since the top add a lot of stability.

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status