Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full exterior crash cage???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Highjaxx, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Has anyone completely piped there K5 or Sub with a mostly intact body? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I want to leave most of the body, to retain it as my DD.

I understand most of you here are narrowing your trucks, and putting rollcages on the inside.

I want to wrap the outside in pipe strong enough to roll my ~7000 lbs. Sub without sustaining major damage.

Think - Mad Max /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I understand this will add considerable weight, but that isn't really a consideration at this point. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

My only ideas are to link the bumpers, and rock sliders and then just move up and around the body. One of my fire trucks at work is my inspiration. http://www.flash.net/~cebar/Brush%206.htm /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

It's hard to see but it has 2 1/2" steel piping around the cab.

Not sure what size pipe to use. Not sure what thickness. Or type.

Anyway I hadn't seen any treads covering this so I had to ask? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

look for things about exo caging. Thats what most people call it around here. Can't think of much in the way of threads about it just people saying they are going to do it. There is a guy in the netherlands that is around here and has an exo cage on his pickup cabbed k5. Rock sliders and good bumpers are important, they make good mounting points for cage bars. Only problem is most sliders mount to the body but bumpers mount to the frame, in off roading situationsn the 2 sometimes move independent of each other and that would be bad on the caging and body and just be stress on everything.

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Like sled dog said their referred to as "exo cages" and just so you know, don't use pipe, use tubing.

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

the guy who built my suspension, randy at www.randyellisdesign.com
    is a great contact for info. He just did this to a suburban. If he can do it to a burban' he can do it to a blazer easier. His email is junkee45@aol.com
    Tell him Juan told ya' about him.

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I've seen a bunch of Jeeps and Fj's done like this and a couple of Chevy truck cabs but never on a Burb. It's something I've thought about myself when money isn't so tight.

The one's I've seen all used about either 1.5" or 2" tubing. The Cherokee's are the one's I'd look for to use as an example since their four doors as well.

Here's a good example of one I'd like to see on a Burb FJ Exo Cage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have thought about doing this but only as side gaurds my idea is to build somewhat of an internal cage so there is plenty of side to side strength and then attach my external cage by drilling some holes through the body and attaching to the internal cage some large plastic grommets and silicone later and you will have an internal external cage. The only problem I would see with building a full external cage for a blazer would be if you ever want to take the top off you would have to traingulate the top of the cage to keep it from shifting into your body. I wouldn't use pipe either although strong it derives most of its strengh through its thinkness. Hence very heavy to stand up also 2.5" pipe is mesured ID so it is bigger than 2.5. If it were me I would use 2" DOM or mild steel tube. Hope this helps or at least gives you a few ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

there was a guy in "four wheel and off road" a few months back who exo-caged a second gen blazer. Maybe that might give you some idea.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Actually, you can use pipe, but it's heavier. There's a bunch of AZ guys on POR that are running pipe exocages cause the rocks were beating the crap out of their DOM tubing. The biggest prob with exocaging a SUV type vehicle such as your suburban, or even our K5's, is that the cage will try to fold side to side in a hard roll, due to no triangulation. If you're willing to cut into the body and triangulate through it, look for some posts in Gen 4x4 and the toyota forum on POR for work by TinBender. Also if you're thinking Pipe for material, give BoogerWelds a shout over there.

Bryan

9. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

That red blazer is awesome. Read the article, I think Wagoner Machine Shop did that work if I recall correctly.