Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Full floater 10bolt VS. 14bolt swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84BIGBODY, Apr 13, 2000.

1. 84BIGBODY

84BIGBODY Registered Member

Please! I'm in a bind. I need suggestions/advice as to wether or not to put the Warn full floater kit in my 10bolt. Or should i just go ahead and swap to a 14bolt. I'm running a 6in. lift with 36x12.50s. To put up with four wheeling anytime I get a chance which would be best.Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

go 14 bolt. the 10 bolt had it's main problems in the damn carriers... not so much the axle shafts. definenitly the 14 bolt man, all the way!

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

With 36's, I'd have to say 14-bolt. The general consensus around here seems to say 33's are as big as you want to go w/a 10-bolt and still wheel it semi-hard. Of course if you're a b@lls-to-the-walls offroader, the 14 is a no-brainer.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

4. 84BIGBODY

Thanks abunch!!!

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

After talking with Stephen at ORD and Depdog, they both agree that a 12-bolt is plenty for 35" or so tires, depending on your right foot. Dep has been running a 12-bolt for a long time and loves it. The full float kit will definately beef what you got, but the carrier is still a little week. Going to a locker that will replace your carrier is a good upgrade. Personally, I'm torn. I've got the 14 sitting at my house, but I don't have the money to guy buy new wheels and tires and the stuff to convert my front to 8 lug. If cash is not a prob., and you got a little time, swaping over won't be a big deal. Just remember, unless you go with a semi float 14 w/ 6 lugs, your wheel and tire combo will need to be changed.

Not much advice, just voicing my indecision too I guess.

Kyle
    89K5

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Keep this in mind, the 10 bolt ff kit is 700$...

7. 84BIGBODY

But you can find 15x10 8lug rims so that shouldn't be a big deal. I just hate to lose the ground clearance at the diff.