Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FULL FLOATER FOR A 12BOLT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lpasotx, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Lpasotx

Lpasotx Registered Member

I WAS LOOKING AT THE MAY 2000 OF FOURWHEELER AND IT SHOWS THE FF FOR THE 12 BOLT AND SINCE I PUT GEARS AND A DETRIOT I GUESS I SHOULD GO FOR IT SINCE TO ME IVE PUT TO MUCH MONEY INTO THEM TO GO BACK AND GET A 14BOLT AND IM ONLY GONNA RUN 35 INCH SWAMPERS MY QUESTION IS HOW MUCH IS IT AND DO I HAVE TO ENLARGE THE CENTER HOLE ON MY WHEELS TO ALLOW THE LOCKING HUB TO GO THROUGH I ALSO WENT INTO OFFROADDESIGN.COM BUT THE SECTION ON THE FF IS NOT WORKING SO I CANT GET A PRICE SOMEONE HELP THANX CHECK US OUT AT JIMJIM.COLORADOK5.COM MINE IS THE 75 JIMMY

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I believe the ff kits for the 12-bolt will cost you around $800. I'm sure this is probably the ultimate upgrade for the axles, but it's really pricey. I think another legitimate option would be to buy a set of heavy duty axles from Moser for around $250. This would give you a pretty good increase in strength for a fraction of the cost.

3. Lpasotx

Lpasotx Registered Member

THANX MAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE MORE OR LESS 500.OO 800 IS KINDA STEEP

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

This is just a little idea I've been tossing around in my head for the past few days. What obout about using front spindles bolted to the rear. Then you could have stock parts, full floater, and big disc brakes all in one!?!? The only problems I have found so far with this setup is how to attach the axle shaft and how to have a parking brake. I see one or 2 custom parts for this conversion 1) Axle shafts.....maybe you could buy just the axle shafts from Warn. 2) Ring splined on the inside to fit the shaft and on the outside to fit the hub. What do you guys think? Does this sound dumb or does anybody think it could be done (for much less than $800?)?

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The problem with using front spindles is that the axle would be a smaller diameter than the stock 12 bolt axle in order to fit through the spindle. If you enlarge the hole in the spindle it becomes weaker. I'm not sure where to even go to get a custom axle made for this type of setup either. Just my thoughts. I am running Moser axles and the extra wide sealed Green Bearings. I also converted to disc brakes which if I break a c-clip will keep the axle from escaping until I can get it repaired. I have yet to break this setup and I am running 36's and I'm going to 37's soon.

<font color=yellow>Steve Frisbie</font color=yellow>