Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full floater vs. sf

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TC4x4, Oct 18, 2006.

1. TC4x4

TC4x4 1/2 ton status

what is better about the ff than the sf and what is the difference in the two of them, can someone tell me what they both do, im looking at buying one for my k5. thanks

2. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

correct me if im wrong but the ff is def. stronger but its an 8 lug compared to the sf that is a 6... although i THINK some sf were 8 lug as well.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

in a full floating assembly the weight of the vehicle rides on bearings that are seperate from the axle shaft. you can pull both shafts and drive around in front wheel drive.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Probably find the answer in a search, but the short is this:

FF has two wheel bearings per tire and all the axle shaft has to do is transmit torque.

SF has a flanged axle (think stress riser) and one wheel bearing per tire. The axle shaft not only transmits torque, it also is what the tire in bolted to. Break the flange off the axle and the tire falls off. That sounds pretty dire & why would you even consider doing that until you realize that nearly every live axle rear wheel drive vehicle lighter than a 3/4t (& some of them too) made since the beginning of time has a SF rear axle.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 14bsf on a 3/4 ton is 8 lug. My 10b front is also 8 lug.

6. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

my 14bff is 6 lug. :D

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

dont confuse him!:haha: jay has 6 lug because he runs adaptors/spacers.

8. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Semi Floater vs Full Floater

First off. I have seen 14B in 6 lug and 8 lug both SF and FF versions. So lugs nuts are not the factor here.

A FF is similar in design to a front axle. The axle will still roll and operate even if the axle is busted or removed. A FF supports the weight of the vehicle on a hub assembly and the axle is only used to transmit power from the differential to the wheel.

A SF uses and axle that has a bearing integrated into it as an assembly. SO, if you break an axle you aren't going anywhere. They are inherently weaker because the weight and stresses placed on the wheels are supported by only one set of bearings, and in my experience the bearing are smaller as well.

If you are going to spend money on a rear axle for your rig.. then go 14BFF and don't even consider the SF. BUT, if you are determined to go SF I bet there is a long list of people on this forum that have them sitting around after having swapped in a FF.

9. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

No adapters or spacers. :wink1:

10. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

So if you upgrade to the 14ff from a 12sf is there one with the six lug axles?

11. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Not stock. You would have to get aftermarket hubs or find someone willing to convert the stock 8 lug hubs to 6 lug. The later is what I did. Most likly you will also have to convert to disc brakes.