Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

full hyd. steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Md mudder, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Md mudder

Md mudder 1/2 ton status

anyone running this on their GM. I'm thinking about it on my 88 blazer with d60 and 44 boggers. I havn't been to the hyd. shop to look into it yet but I'm courious how I can get the stock powersteering pump to run it custom lines maybe? any input would be helpful. this isn't a street ride so return to center or dot isn't a problem

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

lots of custom lines
    a CHARLYN steering valve(most common name brand)
    and a ram, double ended looks like the best way to go

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Personally, I don't think it is the way to go on a street driven 4x4. Not just a vehicle that is a daily driver, but one that will ever hit pavement. If you are driving down the street and you blow a line or the pump fails, or one of any other 10k things that could happen, you have no mechanical link between the steering wheel and the tires. Full hydro could work well in a trail only rig. I am going to a hydro assist system that basically uses about 75% hydro ram, and 25% or less steering box. This will still leave the mechanical link, but almost have the power of full hydro. I have a friend that runs full hydro and loves it. He has had much success w/ this setup, winnning a few Warn championships. Very big potential for trouble if run on the street though.
    I saw the part of your post where it mentioned your truck isn't a daily driver, but I wanted to mention the potential danger to other users also.
    BRG

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I dont see the difference between a hydro steering failure and a mechanical steering failure.
    rag joint failure = loss of steering
    draglink failure = loss of steering
    steering box rips out of frame = steering loss
    end result is the same.
    I think that is a flawed arguement

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

How do they setup the dual steer rigs like sweepers, garbage trucks, ans other ultility rigs? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

6. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I see what you mean, but many times, mechanical steering failures are more easily noticed than a nick in a hose that causes the hose to blow up. I have often wondered why tractors w/ many road miles and thousands of hours on them can hold up so well. Their steering systems aren't that much different from the ones we run. The friend I mentioned in the previous post runs a John Deere hydro setup. I guess it all comes down to the fact that no matter what you have, you should check for defects in the system.